Anyone dry flowers or herbs for selling?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've been doing some reading on this and would like to get into this in a small way. If anyone sells cut flowers to florists, or makes dried flower arrangements for selling or grows herbs for drying or selling, please tell me more about it.

What do you charge per stem, per bunch, per arrangement(wreath, basket, swag, posey)? Do you use silica in your drying or do you use Borax? Do you cultivate certain flowers just for everlastings or do you just make use of what you have? If you do grow certain types, which ones do you use most prevalently?

If you do market these, do you live in a small town or near a large one and market them there? Do you market mainly herbs or do you also sell cut flowers to florists, and, if so, how much per stem?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I am not much of a dried flower person, but I have though about herbs. Of course that would be in a few years when all the newness of this place gets worked out and I actually have some free time to do stuff like that. I think you would have to find out if there is a market for stuff like that, find out where you could sell it etc. I like the herb idea. My sons friends dad is a chef, so there might be a connection there.

You might try asking around certain places to see if there is a market in you area for stuff like that. If so, go for it.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have never raised dried flowers or herbs for sale but have made dried flower arrangements and packaged dried herbs for gifts.
I love hydrangea and baby's breath because they dry so easily and are pretty and pest resistant. There are also lots of wild things that dry well- pearly everlasting is one common around here along with yarrow.
Most people loved the herbs because they were organic and very fresh dried. I put them in little mason jars with a cloth cover over the lid and under the rims. Rosemary and flat leaf parsley where two good ones. Again herbs don't need any real care for the most part. I even grew saffron for a couple of years but it was too much work and not appreciated by most.
I always though herbs were a real money maker as they are mostly pest resistant, and don't need soil amendments. You can sell bundles fresh (I've seen that in local farmer's markets) and dry.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a friend who sells fresh herbs and some flowers at two different farmers markets. She seems to do quite well with them but I don't know any fine details. I will ask her and try to get back to you. I am a little busy as this is county fair week and we are very active in 4-H. It will probably be early next week before I talk to her, unless I see her at the fair!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I keep telling my grandma to clip some of her hydrangea (sp) bush's flowers ad dry hem. maybe sell them.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
With the price people are paying for dried herbs, this may be a profitable niche market- oregano grows like a weed so why is it so expensive in the stores?
The main problems would be knowing your climate zones and what you can grow in bulk, picking an herb that can air dry in bulk in your area (I've heard attics are good for this) and finding inexpensive packaging.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Went to the library today and stopped several times along the rode to snip fall flowers for drying. Lovely heather, white, and gold shades to incorporate into wreaths and baskets. Even stopped at the local gas station that has a lovely bed full of mixed zinnias and begged a few!

Am going to attempt to dry some of the flowers using Borax, as described in some of the books on this subject. They say it is hard to dry sunflowers, as they are so thick and meaty, but I am going to try. I grew some of the most lovely russet, crimson and gold varieties this year and I would love to see how they dry out. I am also going to dry some of my corn husks in a protected place this year and see if I can incorporate them into some fall wreaths.

I'll try to post pics of the finished products, but keep in mind I've never done anything like this before! May turn out looking ridiculous or contrived. We'll see!

Anyone else make homemade gifts for Christmas? What do you make, usually? Make your own live wreaths, swags and mantel boughs? I get so excited for Christmas and love gathering pine cones, boughs, etc. for making natural decorations.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Oh, my aunt makes wreaths out of dried red chili peppers (she only likes them green) They are really cool. She made them when she lived in New Mexico.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, collected more flowers for drying this week and they are hanging in my attic as we speak. Such contentment to see and smell them there.

Says in the books that a hot, dry attic is the best place for them and I just happen to have one! Not only that, but it already had wires strung across it, as I think the old folks that lived here used to dry laundry up there in the winter. Just as if it were made for my flower drying venture! By next fall, I hope to see that whole attic hanging full of all the flowers and grasses I have collected. I think its so pretty and smells so wonderful.

I also placed several flowers in a Borax/Cornmeal mix and can't wait to see how successful that turns out. I love flowers, and the thought of retaining those pretty colors into the winter months has me excited. I even pressed some for making pictures, cards and bookmarks.

I have an idea about making a Christmas wreath using sumac...I just love that deep red color they turn in the fall! Studied up on making swags and I think my live bough swags for my porch will look more lush and beautiful this year than last.

Don't you just love books? :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@Beekissed do you recall the results of your flower drying? I have considered getting into dried flowers. (First I need the flowers to grow... :rolleyes:)

Latest posts