Anyone else shop at a dollar store?

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If so what do you shop for? Spices, some canned goods here. Gladware type things, storage bags, cheap measuring cups, things like that. Just wondering what others may buy at these types of places..

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I buy lots of stuff at our "Dollar Tree" here. Artifical Flowers, decorations for holidays, gift wrap and bows, kitchen towels, plates and glasses. Inexpensive things for "gift baskets"... I go in there at least once a week. Our store has now started to carry more food items. But, I seldom buy packaged food. I am a "make it from scratch" type person.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Be very wary of buying food from the dollar store...it is mostly from China...and they have been known for thier poisons. Just a couple of months back they were packaging fake, carcenogenic peas...no kidding.
And don't ever buy baby toys there, or make up. The ingredients they use in these cheap products are mostly toxic.

I buy some things at the dollar store, mostly dish clothes and microfibre cleaning cloths...but I am very careful when I shop there

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I buy limited things

like hair clips for Nicole

maybe some hair spray etc

our dollar stores have very limited food sections so I don't bother shopping for any foods while in there----well candy canes at Christmas time lol

The more I hit stores the more I spend so I sure don't go once per week to the dollar stores. I go maybe 1 time per month if my travels take me near a store.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I shop the Dollar Tree when I am in town...but its 30 minutes away from me, so I dont get to go very often. Like Rebbetzin...mostly deco item for the different holidays...or things to add to gift baskets. Hand towels, coffee cups, air freshners...etc.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Be very wary of buying food from the dollar store...it is mostly from China...and they have been known for thier poisons. Just a couple of months back they were packaging fake, carcenogenic peas...no kidding.
And don't ever buy baby toys there, or make up. The ingredients they use in these cheap products are mostly toxic.

I buy some things at the dollar store, mostly dish clothes and microfibre cleaning cloths...but I am very careful when I shop there
This! Be careful of foods and things that may have lead in them. They are cheap for a reason. I buy cleaning stuff, microfiber cloths (can you have too many??), photo albums and things like that, decorations, mittens and hats in the winter. Stuff like that.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have Dollar Tree and a 99 cents store. Dollar Tree really never has much I need but our 99 sore is different. It carries a ton of food products. There is always a big variety of fresh produce, I am pretty sure is locally grown. You can find some great bargains.

g

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gift wrap and gift bags, greeting cards, calendars children's books - I guess mostly paper products. Never food.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
At the Dollar Tree (45 min away) I buy cleaning things like brushes, rags. Also bought some cool open weave handled oval tubs - I keep my plastic bowl lids in there, and now it so easy to find a match cus I lift out the tub and sort thru it. I used to buy Bugles for my son, and I love the stone ground crackers (same brand as in Safeway stores).

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I shop at The Dollar Store, Dollar General, Big Lots, and some others. You have to KNOW the costs of what you're buying. I don't buy food from them, UNLESS it's a name brand, the price is right, AND the expiration date isn't tomorrow.
IF the price is right, this is what I like to buy there:
1) Stickie notes--for the office
2) deodorant (<$2.00 each)
3) Shampoo and conditioner ($1.00 or less each, or lowest price)
4) Petroleum jelly
5) Sweatpants and sweatshirts (when I need them) for barn chores
6) Hair rubber bands
7) Food storage bags, and food storage containers

They used to have better buys. :/ I once bought 5 ceramic serving sized dishes at a Dollar General, with a lip like a teacup saucer for $1.00 (20 cents each.) I had intended to use them all under plants, but DD thought they'd do better as serving dishes. Now, they only sell plastic.