Anyone have a teaspoon of dry yeast to spare?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know, sounds crazy, huh? Well, I want to start a yeast culture, and instead of spending a fortune on dry yeast at the store, I wonder if someone buys bulk yeast and is willing to mail a teaspoon or so of dry yeast my way. It's worth a shot anyways... I can trade ornamental pepper seeds for your yeast. Thanks in advance.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
I have some active dry yeast in an 1/4oz indivual package from the store thats not yet been opened...would that do?

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've got lots of yeast too. I buy it in bulk as I make most of my own bread daily.. Would be happy to spare a teaspoon.. and would love some pepper seed...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek, a question, if I may? This sounds like a fun way to share your seeds, and develop relationships here on the forum ... but ... why do you need to "spend a fortune" for yeast at the store? Any supermarket will have the little individual packs, and, yes, over the long term they do cost a fortune, but one little pack? No, not really. Or, in the baking section you can get a little 4 oz jar, get your teaspoonful, and put the rest in the 'fridge or freezer for the next time you may need a bit (it lasts virtually forever in the freezer), or if you want to share with someone else. Or, at your local health food store, if you have one, there is probably a large bulk jar of yeast, and cheapest of all per ounce, and you can get as little or as much as you want. Just wondering ... :)