Anyone stockpiling lightbulbs?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since manufacturing of incandescent (sp?) light bulbs will be phased out by 2012 (as I understand it), is anyone doing a little "hoarding" ;) of these while they're still on the shelves?

I noticed the local W/M has a tiny little shelf of incandescents, everything else is fluorescent.

I don't have a huge problem with the fluorescents, except they don't last nearly as long as they're supposed to for the price (IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ONLY), & they aren't great for "instant on", 3 way lamps, etc.

So, while I saw 'em, I bought a package of every size they had "just in case"... :D

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Since manufacturing of incandescent (sp?) light bulbs will be phased out by 2012 (as I understand it), is anyone doing a little "hoarding" ;) of these while they're still on the shelves?

I noticed the local W/M has a tiny little shelf of incandescents, everything else is fluorescent.

I don't have a huge problem with the fluorescents, except they don't last nearly as long as they're supposed to for the price (IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ONLY), & they aren't great for "instant on", 3 way lamps, etc.

So, while I saw 'em, I bought a package of every size they had "just in case"... :D
No, but I'm thinking I should.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not the incandescent, but the little twirly CFLs. They seem to work better when its a light that typically stays on or off for steady periods. Like a porch light rather than the bathroom.

I bought a few cases of 5 pack CFLs when my company had them on sale. They were just a bit more than incandescent bulbs at that time :woot

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a heat lamp out in the chicken coop, I'm thinking the phase-out can't be for bulbs like that....right? Maybe I'll do a search & see what I can find out...

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honestly I happen to love my fluorescent bulbs, they lowered our bill a ton, so NO I am not stockpiling regular bulbs. I use the newer bright ones and they are just as bright as most incandescent. As for longevity I have some that are more than 7 years old still working. They do give my Aunt migraines though so I am assuming if you have a reason you should be though ;)

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm finding that my CFL's aren't lasting as long as they claim either. And I only have them in lights that stay on for a while. I have regular lightbulbs in my bathroom. Also regular lights out in the barn. I found the CFL's don't do well when not in a temperature controlled area either.

Latest posts