Anyone use a steam juicer?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, I don't drink juice, make jelly, or need/want juice in general. However..... Once in a while I get a craving for soda and mix the juice of a lime with some stevia and a can of seltzer. I recently strained some canned autumnberry puree that was getting a bit old and used the juice in this way, freezing the thick pulp for use in shakes. Oh, my, was this amazingly delicious!

I also make wines, and although I think I'd prefer the raw taste over the cooked taste, I could do some interesting things with pears and the aforementioned autumnberries with a steam juicer. And get more use from the grapes from my very prolific arbor.

Who has one or has used one? I'm looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-619-S...=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=victorio+steam+juicer#Ask

Jo-Ann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a steamer - not the stainless steel one. I use it only occasionally, but when I do need it, it's wonderful. I make jellies with the juice, but I love your ideas for mixing it with soda.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've always wondered about steamers. I heard they are rather time consuming but then again if it does a great job it probably is worth it. From what I understand it can be poured directly in the jar and then capped and processed. This would sure be easier than boiling pulp and straining. I'll be watching this post.

livingrn

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've had my steamer about 5 years now and love the ease of making juice for jelly and especially grape juice.
No removing seeds or skins, just wash and place in steamer. If making apple or say a pear juice, just cut in quarters. There's nothing complicated to it. I highly recommend it. I do have a stainless steel one and clean up is easy.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cleaning the scale buildup from all the boiling out of the bottom pan is easy. Just put some vinegar and water in past the line and simmer until it's clean. Sometimes you need more vinegar.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our household has frequently used one... but my wife takes the lead on that. I do most of the grape, blueberry, strawberry, and raspberry cultivation. (Though my wife likes to pick raspberries and cut out the old canes at the end of the season.) Besides fresh eating, we freeze some of our blueberries, strawbs & raspberries. And make some juice.

We don't own a juice steamer but instead borrow one belonging to friends of ours down the way. It's a good thing. We always return the appliance in good condition & completely clean.

Can't offer much opinion of the Norpro one in the ad. The one we borrow is stainless steel & looks very similar in design and size. I've never taken any note of the make of the one we borrow.