Apple Cider Vinegar in the treatment and prevention of COCCIDIOSIS.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here is a link about making vinegar and it has many interesting facts but the most significant for the subject on this post is on page 34 where it lists the many beneficial bacteria located in natural(not heat processed) vinegar~too many to list here!

http://silvalab.fsnhp.msstate.edu//vinegar_lactic.pdf

***If you look closely you will find on that list at least one bacteria, in particular, that might interest those who are fearful of cocci in new chicks and other young animals and want to take steps to prevent it.****

Pediococcus acidilactici

Pediococcus acidilactici can function as immune modulators. Animals fed with P. acidilactici have shown enhanced immune responses against infectious coccidioidal diseases.

Pediococcus acidilactici is also known to prevent colonization of the small intestine by pathogens like Shigella, Salmonella, Clostridium difficile and Escherichia coli among small animals.

Pediococcus acidilactici has not been stated in any literature to have toxic effects. Another potential benefit of using them as Probiotics is their use as alternative medicines against infectious parasitic pathogens like Eimeria* in broiler-chicken [6].

*Eimeria, genus of parasitic protozoans of the spore-producing phylum Apicomplexa (previously Sporozoa). Eimeria, which causes coccidiosis in livestock and wild animals, infects mainly the cells of the digestive tract, although it also attacks cells of the liver and the bile duct. Symptoms of infection are diarrhea, weight loss, and general weakness. Eimeria is characterized by spore cases that contain four spores, each with two infective sporozoites. Among the common pathogenic species are E. necatrix and E. tenella (in poultry); E. stiedae (in rabbits); and E. bovis, E. ellipsoidalis, and E. zuernii (in cattle).
There is a wealth of information on the net about the beneficial bacterias present in the cultures that produce vinegar and many of the common bacteria that can sicken and kill humans and animals can be prevented from proliferating if vinegar is used. Botulism is one of these organisms, which is why vinegar has been used for many years in home preservation of foods.

Vinegar also has many vitamins and minerals that can provide valuable electrolytes and supplemental nutrition to growing birds, particularly those prone to dehydration like young chicks and the fast growing broiler breeds.

Vitamins: A, C, E, P and the B1, 2 and 6 complexes.

Minerals: as iron, manganese, calcium, copper, silicon, chlorine, sulphur, sodium, phosphorus and fluorine

amino acids and enzymes

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Another study about fermented feeds showed an increase in intestinal and overall health in laying hens:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19373724

The use of fermented feed increased egg weight in the period from 34 to 37 weeks (61.4 vs. 60.0) and increased shell weight (g/100 g egg weight, 10.2 vs. 9.9) and shell stiffness (N/mm, 161 vs. 150) of eggs collected at 37 weeks.

The feeding of fermented feed increased intestinal health by acidification of the upper digestive tract, forming a natural barrier towards infection with acid sensitive pathogens, e.g. E. coli, Salmonella and Campylobacter.

bluebirdnanny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Interesting (the part I could understand). I bookmarked it for reading again later. Hmmmm may have to re-evaluate how I did what I did. It took a year from my fresh pressed apple cider.