apple yeast..

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That is very very cool. I may actually have to try it out and see if the family notices.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, very interesting. Keeping yeast "on the hoof". I suppose it will be somewhat more variable than sourdough, right?

I have also considered intentionally growing yeast to high concentration and making cakes of it. There's some information about this on the interwebs but I can't vouch for any of it. Apparently, hops is one of the ingredients...

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Apples and grapes have a natural "bloom" on them which traps yeast. Those huge shiney apples that you see in supermarket have usually been washed and repolished with a man made wax. I don't know what the organic people say about this [nor do I care]. Also out of season apples have been stored under an artifical atmosphere [they gas them to put them to sleep to save them for later] Due to these actions maybe you will find yeast maybe not. A apple fresh off a tree will have yeast on its skin. My self I would try grapes they are not repolished and I don't think they are usually stored.
k15n1 The hops are used as a preserative to slow or prevent bacteria growth. This is the old way to save yeast as concentrated cakes. the shelf life was not long for these cakes either. to get long storage you want spors sexual reproduction rather than buds asexual reproduction.~gd