Apples- tried something new!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My DH came home the other day with a garbage can full of apples he had gotten for free on a jobsite. I was not sure on the variety. They looked good and tasted great but they were a little tart. I started looking in my old cookbooks for recipes to try with these apples and found a great one!! I thought I would share it with you guys.

Caramel Apple Jam

6 cup apples - peeled.cored, and diced - this was the hardest part.
1/2 cup water
1 tsp butter
1 pkg powdered pectin
3 cups granulated sugar
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Put the apples in a large pot, add water and butter, cook on low to medium untill apples are soft but not mushy. (The mix is thick at this point and I thought it would not work out but it did.) Add the pectin and bring apples to a boil. Then add sugars and spices. Bring mixture back to a full boil stirring constantly. Boil one minute and then remove from heat. Place in hot jars, process in hot water bath for ten minutes. I got about 6 - 7 jelly jars out of each batch. The second time I made it I doubled the recipe and it turned out just fine. This is pretty sweet. I had one jar that was not quite full and we used it tonight over vanilla ice cream. It was VERY good. I have a feeling that is probably how we will use most of what I made because of how sweet it is.

Ugly Cowboy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Dang, that sounds pretty good! I'm gonna have to give that recipe to someone who knows how to cook it for me (last time I tried to cook pancakes on the stove, I caught 'em on fire. Now I'm banned from the stove, oven, and the microwave, cuz I left a fork in one time... Well, at least I still have my grill!)

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How about some Candy Apple Jelly.
Candy Apple Jelly

4 cups apple juice
1/2 cup red-hot candies
1 (1.75 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
4 1/2 cups sugar

1 DIRECTIONS
2 In a large kettle, combine apple juice, candies and pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; skim off any foam and undissolved candies. Pour hot liquid into hot jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water bath.