Appliance Electrical Usage

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our electric co-op sends out a newsletter 3 or 4 times a year and yesterday we got one that is full of hurricane stuff. One interesting article was about generators and included a chart showing how many watts on average that different appliances use.

I found it interesting that a coffee maker was towards the top of the list: 750-1,200 running watts!

Other appliances listed:
Refrigerator 750
Freezer 500
Oscillating Fan 50-100
Computer 120
Television 150-400

I need a simple camp stove coffee pot... everything else I can do without. :)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use a percolator coffee pot on my gas stove. Is that what you mean?
I get better coffee and way cheaper to use than electricity.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yep, a percolator - that's it! :D Can you tell I've never used one? My husband swears they make much better coffee than a drip coffee maker... need to track one down.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm surprised that electric cook stoves and dryers are not in there. I know most of our usage comes from those two.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think they mainly listed items that would be used with a generator during a power outage.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did a bit of research on that stuff too. The high wattage on the coffee maker is the most it will use during the brew cycle. I don't remember seeing how much they use after that when just the warming tray is on. The following are a couple things from my blog:

The Cost of Using Your Coffee Maker
According to the propaganda, I mean newsletter from the local electricity company, the average annual cost of using your coffee maker is $80. Too bad it doesnt say if the cost was figured from just brewing, or how long the warming burner was on. Since a lot of coffee makers have a two hour auto shut off, maybe that time was factored into the cost. I drink a lot of coffee, especially when the weather is cold, so my coffee maker gets a workout. In an effort to get a more accurate read on my coffee maker, I went to Mr. Electricity - http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/howmuch.html

and

According to the smart people at http://www.nppd.com/My_Home/Product_Brochures/Additional_Files/electric_usage.asp , using the brew cycle on my coffee maker once a day is costing me $1.17 a month.

Some days I have too much time on my hands aka the fine art of procrastination :lol:

Latest posts