Appliance Manufacturers! Come On!

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Last year, we got rid of our upright fridge. We have two chest fridges (5 cu ft in the kitchen, and 7 cu ft in the basement that we use for projects- making bacon, cheese, etc.) and a 12 cu ft chest freezer. These three units use 1/10th the electricity that our year 2000 upright did.

We replaced our desktop computer with a laptop, our electric dryer with a gas one (still don't use in summer, I swear!), and the fridge, and our electrical usage went from 900 kwh per month to 350 kwh per month.

We were able to do this fridge thing because our kitchen is unremodeled and Depression era. We have no cabinets. In a kitchen with built in cabinets, it would be tough to fit a chest fridge in. The solution is a fridge that is a series of drawers, like a bureau. Each drawer would be it's own tiny chest-style fridge or freezer. Or undercounter models (which is what I would love) that only have three drawers, but allow for more counterspace.

This is an idea whose time has come. I have emailed Ikea and Maytag. Ikea said they don't take outside ideas (???) and Maytag hasn't gotten back to me.

I'm not trying to sell this as a proposal, I'm trying to say, "Please make this. There is a market for it and it would change the world for the better."

What gives? How can I get them to listen?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My gf has a refrigerator with a freezer drawer on the bottom. I don't see why they couldn't make a drawer fridge.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Totally makes sense. Good luck! I read recently that a chest type freezer was more economical - when you opened the lid, the cold air stayed down and didn't escape as much as it does in an upright freezer. I don't have a stand-alone freezer (yet) but when I purchase one it will be a chest type.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just as a note, IKEA doesn't actually make their own appliances, they sub them out to major appliance manufacturers just like the department stores do (Sears' Kenmore brand are all made by other manufacturers--my dishwasher says Kenmore but according to the repair guy it's actually a Whirlpool).

That said, keep on trying--there are lots of other manufacturers and I bet one of the European ones (Miele, Bosch, Electrolux etc.) might listen or even already have a model like what you want.

eta: oh actually I HAVE seen drawer fridges, on Martha Stewart back in the 90s, so someone MUST make them.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
They certainly exist in high-end and commercial (restaurant) versions. I think it's just that there's no cheapie "regular people" version.

Pat

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Kitchen Aids, at least when I saw them live and in person, had a wire mesh bottom to the drawer, so when you opened it, all the cold air fell out, totally negating any energy savings. So dumb. Like drilling holes in your gas tank.

The Summits are nice, but are professional models and therefore also non-conforming for standard dimensions in residential kitchens.

All of these are undercounter models, which, I would like, but there are lots of folks who would need a fridge that fits the typical space because that's what their cabinets allow.

And, yeah, the prices on the these are heart stopping. Our 12 cu ft chest cost $400, 7 cu ft cost $300, 5 cu ft cost $150. Each of our two external thermostats cost $50. So we have tons of cooled space for less than the cost of two of Summit's little drawers, which is pretty silly when a big new French door with multiple freezer door fridge that has tons of space costs about $2000.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Nice idea, a bit pricey, but I have to say, I like our new refrigerator- french doors on top and freezer drawer on bottom (which makes sense!).

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We say do what you can with what ya got. We average about 70.00 a month with our E-bill. I am sure I can cut a bit more. We are looking to go propane refrigeration next. May not be cheaper but will help when power goes out. Which it does in the winter way top much now. Life on an island. We don't do the new thing anymore. so keeping our eyes out on Craigslist or yard sales. Good luck Don

Latest posts