Are posters here HAPPIER having few men in SS Forums?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I renamed this thread because I wonder if this forum, good as it is, has gotten into a rut. ??

I know we have some men - and they've been making some good contributions. Also, don't get the notion that I, being a guy, don't appreciate what women are posting on SS. Useful things, and the women here need and deserve a place to communicate.

Having said that, I'll mention that there are certain areas of self-sufficient living that are generally speaking the domain of the guys. Not always, but more usually. Examples? Maintaining the car, truck, rototiller, or lawn mower. Re-roofing the house. Building an addition. Felling trees and bucking firewood. Putting in a homesite water system.

This is the liberated age of post-feminism, and some women are quite involved and adept in these areas.

Still, how do we bring more fellas here?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
IMO, I think mainly they are partcipating just not on forums perhaps............

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
IMO, I think mainly they are partcipating just not on forums perhaps............
Oh, to be sure! I wouldn't assume anything else.

If you mean by "participating" that they are doing the things required to live the SS lifestyle, yes of course. I'm an example, myself... I was living a pretty self-reliant, outdoorsy lifestyle for over 20 years before I sampled my first on-line forum.

But I didn't mean that. I meant how do we interest them in posting here.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't worry as things continue to worsen they will find us.
I began talking to a good many of my buddies five or six years ago about prepping and becoming more self-sufficient. They all looked at me like I had a third eye. Many still do. They just shake their heads, roll their eyes and change the subject. Now that I am well set up and seeing results some of them are asking questions. There is only one person out of all the men I know that paid close attention and started preparing. It took him two years to convince his wife that while she is shopping, if they need one, Buy 2 or 4. What finally got her on board was proving to her it would not be cheaper next week.
I'm close to retirement as are many of my friends. When I ask them how they would get by without their pension or social security they refuse to consider that it might possibly not be there down the road.
I brew wine and hard cider every year and rarely drink it just because I see it as a good item to barter with down the road. ( besides I prefer an adult beverage made with hops and barley and I can still afford it ) Same with ammunition (not that I make it) I have enough put away to last me two lifetimes because down the road it could be very difficult to buy. I harvest fresh fruit, rhubarb, asparagus and grapes, Grow more vegtables than I can use and the chickens provide so many eggs that sometimes I boil, mash, and feed them back to the chickens, shells and all.
Most of my neighbors take their trash to the street weekly and the containers are overflowing. I had trash picked up once in July. Paper all gets burned. Compost, recycle, reuse and repurpose for everything else has become a way of life.
My next project will be a solar dehydrator as I am running out of freezer space and closet space for canned goods.
The men who are here know full well what we are facing. The men who are not here will figure it out. They just don't want to stop and ask directions. :gig

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I joined this forum a few months back, and other than you and I there are a few other guys that drift in and out. Most of them bailed fairly recently when some things went on. I never knew or wanted to know the details of what all went on, it seemed to be a lot of "she said" type of stuff.
The Q, I think, isn't so much in getting them involved here as in keeping them around.

My own participation here is a bit sporadic, and likely to only get more so as time goes by.

Back in the past, when there was a family farm and my family did get together, all the men gathered on the porch to drink beer, smoke and talk about man-stuff while all the women gathered in the kitchen to smoke drink coffee and talk about women-stuff. Whenever a man went into the kitchen, say to get refills, he always felt rather awkward and out of place in that room full of women. I think lots of men feel the same way here.

Or, to be more blunt, a bit less "girl-world" politics would go a long way towards keeping the menfolk around.

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
Don't worry as things continue to worsen they will find us.
I began talking to a good many of my buddies five or six years ago about prepping and becoming more self-sufficient. They all looked at me like I had a third eye. Many still do. They just shake their heads, roll their eyes and change the subject. Now that I am well set up and seeing results some of them are asking questions. There is only one person out of all the men I know that paid close attention and started preparing. It took him two years to convince his wife that while she is shopping, if they need one, Buy 2 or 4. What finally got her on board was proving to her it would not be cheaper next week.
I'm close to retirement as are many of my friends. When I ask them how they would get by without their pension or social security they refuse to consider that it might possibly not be there down the road.
I brew wine and hard cider every year and rarely drink it just because I see it as a good item to barter with down the road. ( besides I prefer an adult beverage made with hops and barley and I can still afford it ) Same with ammunition (not that I make it) I have enough put away to last me two lifetimes because down the road it could be very difficult to buy. I harvest fresh fruit, rhubarb, asparagus and grapes, Grow more vegtables than I can use and the chickens provide so many eggs that sometimes I boil, mash, and feed them back to the chickens, shells and all.
Most of my neighbors take their trash to the street weekly and the containers are overflowing. I had trash picked up once in July. Paper all gets burned. Compost, recycle, reuse and repurpose for everything else has become a way of life.
My next project will be a solar dehydrator as I am running out of freezer space and closet space for canned goods.
The men who are here know full well what we are facing. The men who are not here will figure it out. They just don't want to stop and ask directions. :gig
Yeaaaahhhhh, I know what you are saying on a lot of that.....
In real life, I have noticed a lot more women interested in SS stuff than men.
Funny when you think that so much of SS is more traditionally man stuff, like building stuff.

What did the man say? "If they don't find you handsome, at least they can find you handy?"

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It can be a hostile environment. I use a gender free name on here but once they figure out I am male it seems that I can't know S... anything about the female arts. Well this old Bachelor had to learn many of those the hard way in order to live in comfort. Way back in the dark ages both genders had to take one half school year in both Home Economics and in Wood Shop in order to graduate HS. On the other hand I had to take my case to the school board to get permission to take Typing since I might disrupt the Ladies that hopped to work in an office one day. So when do they teach 'keyboarding now?
I just trotted out the statists that showed that typed term papers got better grades then the same paper written in long hand even with a Fountain Pen.
I recently visited 3 big box office supply stores and not one of them had a simple bottle of ink. Times change, adapt or die! ~gd