Arkansas

lovemychicks9

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi I am Trudy. We live in north central Arkansas. By we I mean my DH, , our 12 dogs of all sizes and colors, 1 grumpy old cat, and my 24 chickens -- 10 RIR's, 2 GSL's, 2BR's, 5 Americaunas, and 5 Buff Orps. We are trying to become more self sufficent as the Gas Drilling companies down here seem to be "almost taking over" and swallowing us up in the process. I am trying more and more things to try and save some money so let's here from all the Arkansas's ( I know there is alot of us out here) and all the good ideas you all have! Trudy
Yippeee! I am the first "Arky " t post here!! Everyone say hi! :frow :frow :frow

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:frow Hi!! 12 DOGS??? :th However do you find time to pet them all? ;) Nice to meet you, Trudy!

lovemychicks9

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am very lucky as they all know they get about 1/2 hour each . per day. 6 of these guys are chihuahua's and 5 of them belong to my husband and want nothing to do with me so that cuts it down a bit. The ones that require the most attention is the boxer, she is adopted and lived in a puppy mill and never ever got any attention from any one and she has the most health problems. The other one who likes alot is my 1 year old pit bull , he just loves for someone to love on him. Trudy

plucky

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hey Trudy
I'm also in North Central Arkansas, just a spit from the Mo border! Hubby and I are trying to be more self-sufficient on our 20 acres with a huge garden, 2 pigs, 11 chickens, and 4 beehives, as well as the "non-producers" - 3 dogs and 5 cats.
:coolsun

ParsonsWife

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:frow Hi ya'll!

I'm checking in from SouthEast Arkansas....almost to the Mississippi/LA border.

I have several chickens, 4 dogs, and my dear family!
My husband is the pastor of a church down here....

ya'll come :)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
North Central Arkansas here also, about half way between Jonesboro and Mtn. Home (Cherokee Village/Hardy area).

Myself, wife, daughter and father-in-law (ahlzheimer's) on 15 acres. We have three dogs and until very recently we had 12 chickens. A storm damaged their coop and now they are having a sleepover with friends, until I get new coop is built.

I have learned a valuable lesson regarding chickens. You do not want to be in a mercury marquis, when a box full of adult chickens comes open, and they realize that they are on a road trip!:eek:

shirley

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
North Central Arkansas here too! Cave City to be exact.
The kids are grown and gone, it is just the two of us now. We moved here from Ariz 4 years ago and we've never looked back, we love it here. We've got 50 acres, mostly pasture with 2 goats, 6 horses, 2 donkeys, 4 angus, 1 pet jersey steer, 21 4 month old chicks, 2 dogs and 2 cats.
I am so excited to get my chickens. Hubby got them for me for my birthday in June. We didn't have the funds to build a chicken pen so we enclosed an unused 16x16 covered horse pen! It's not pretty but it is a perfect house for the chickens.
I've got one rooster out of 21 chicks, a real pretty EE. The rest are EE's, 1 red hampshire and barred rock. They are all so friendly I enjoy spending time with them.
I tried a small garden this summer: tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, squash and okra. Next summer I will have a bigger area to plant more. Does anybody else have problems with grass taking over a garden area? I pull grass every day and it still takes over. :( I finally give up.
I haven't free ranged my chicks yet. I guess I could start a couple of hours before dusk to see how they do. I don't want anything to happen to them but I know they would be happy to get out every day for a little while.
Koxxx....I can just see your chickens flapping all over the inside of your car! How funny! Hope you didn't have far to go!:D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hi shirley
welcome!!!
are you kidding...lol...grass and weeds can take over a garden in a blink of an eye..LOL

we have about 20 acres in variable produce to sell at the markets....we can't deep mulch, put down landscape barrier cloth, etc. etc. to control weeds in the big fields.....but straw, newspaper, etc. between your rows in a regular size garden helps also, but you sure can't stop mother nature on that one..HA HA

shirley

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
grass and weeds can take over a garden in a blink of an eye..LOL
Gardening is so different here than the desert.
I will have to cover the ground with something next season. Straw would be best for me since I keep bales of straw for the chickens anyway.
Thanks for the welcome! I sure enjoy reading all the forums and everyone is so nice to each other, it is refreshing!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
shirley said:
snip
...I tried a small garden this summer: tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe, squash and okra. Next summer I will have a bigger area to plant more. Does anybody else have problems with grass taking over a garden area? I pull grass every day and it still takes over. :( I finally give up...

Koxxx....I can just see your chickens flapping all over the inside of your car! How funny! Hope you didn't have far to go!:D
Greetings and welcome, Shirley! Sorry it took a bit to get back to you, my father-in-law passed away the morning after your post and I didn't get back on the forum for a bit over a week. Then, I didn't think to check this thread until now.

Yep, the weeds are horrendous! I have never had such a hard time controlling them as I have had since moving here. This spring we will try spacing the rows a bit wider and running the tiller between them when the weeds start sprouting. The newspaper and straw helps, but unfortunately it's manual labor that gets the best results.:/

As far as the chickens loose in the car... well most of the stains have come out.:rolleyes: The one that kept trying to perch on the steering wheel really was a pain. I had a state trooper pass me and he had the look of "I don't even want to know!" on his face. We made it safe and sound, though.

Unfortunately, during their sleepover, a predator got to them and killed all but four. I told my friend that he could keep them and we'll start anew this spring.

Anyway, welcome again! It's nice to have another local in the group.

Mark
(in Highland)