Asparagus....Best Way To Freeze...

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Whats the best way to freeze extra asparagus...? Do you have to blanch them to freeze well..? I know someone who freezes then in a block with water.They said they come out good, just steam after defrosting them...Cannings not an option, they turn to mush.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've always just blanched them, then froze them.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I steam blanch them for 3 minutes and then dip in ice water and dry then I freeze them on cookie sheets till frozen hard and then I vac-pack them- they come out much nicer than when I just put them in the bags unfrozen and freeze them.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I blanch 3 minutes, plunge into ice water, then blot dry with a clean towel, and freeze. Isn't it great to have fresh asparagus again!

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Can i freeze them on a tray raw, not blanched, then package and keep frozen until used..? Is blanching really needed.?

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of doing 25 lbs of asparagus. I've been blanching 2 minutes then freezing. I've read if you're going to use them soon (in a month or two) that blanching isn't needed, but I won't be using mine that quickly.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
Can i freeze them on a tray raw, not blanched, then package and keep frozen until used..? Is blanching really needed.?
That's how we do ours..........we never blanch asparagus before freezing, but we vacuum seal it.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
SKR8PN..How do they come out not being blanched and have you kept them in the freezer for more than a couple months...? Or use them up pretty quickly..? I know people have been blanching and freezing veggies a long time, but what does blanching actually do...?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blanching halts some of the enzymatic activity that causes veggies to ripen. This action can continue at a very slow rate even in frozen storage, which is why you want to use un-blanched frozen veggies quickly.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have both blanched and not blanched my asparagus and I much prefer the blanched-the unblanched developed an off/slightly nasty(like freezer burn plus funky grass) taste within one month of freezing. We ate the unblanched but will not go to the expense of buying 20 + pounds of good local asparagus and not process it properly again.
We are finally starting to get good yields of our own planted asparagus this year... The Purple Passion one is a keeper for sure! I may have to put in another row. They might not make as many spears but the flavor is great.