asparagus

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Having chickens thus trained makes it easier to allow free range if you don't have a LGD. So many predators here, that free range is a rare event for chickens. It's only a matter of time before local fox or hawks make a run on my ducks. Also, IF I do free range either species, I like to put them in before we go anywhere, b/c that's when the preds tend to make their moves. This morning, ducks were out for an hour before I had to leave. It took me less than 5 minutes to call them up from the lower lawn, and put them in their yard. Wish I had a LGD. My dog is a wuss. Anyway,... hubby hates having chicken poo and craters all over the yard. So... I work with the system I've developed: try to keep the critters in the back yard, and the chickens LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the front yard and flower bed.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Im so keen to start some asparagus here. I have seen seedlings in the hardware store but never seeds. So i might just give them a go with the tips learned here

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Reviving an older thread. I want to kill off pasture grass. What type of covering should I use? I'm a little conserned about plastic shearing and UV longevity. The spot will need to stay covered until early fall without much hassle and I'll flip the soil over and till in manure then. Set my asparagus transplants and mulch well. But right now I just want the spot to be weed free as possible come early fall.

Thanks

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna try this 10 mill black. My asparagus bed is going to be 4 foot by 100 ft, so a little on the large side. I just want to basically "bake" the soil this summer to kill off any grass, weeds and séeds, in preparation for fall plow, till and amendment additions and transplant of seedling crowns. I really don't want to use chemicals, so I'll try some black plastic instead and hope it works.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Problem...

I have at least 288 Martha Washington Asparagus seedlings sprouted, some cells have multiple seedlings. I need a cost effective way to transplant them into something to set outdoors here pretty soon. While I prepare a permanent home for them late summer early fall.

Digging around I found this old kiddie pool that the grand kids used when they were small. it's a smaller pool that's 33 inches in diameter and 7 inches deep. I also grabbed a bag of peat moss late last year that they were practically giving away. It was the last bag or I would have grabbed more.

33 inch diameter x 7" deep is 4.4 cubit foot I would still need a bit more dirt / compost to top it off, but I have cows so there's plenty of manure to mix in with some barn lime that should be ok.

IMG_20220408_133320586.jpg

I plan on screwing the pool down to a pallet, popping some drainage holes in it. Loading it up with peat moss, manure and mix in some barn lime. Transplant the asparagus and their paper cells into the pool. Use the bobcat to move it around as needed.

Do you think this is a good plan or should I.be looking at something bigger for at least 288 asparagus seedlings? Over crowding seedlings?

Menards has a 59" diameter x 6" deep kiddie pool that's about 12 cubic foot. In any event I'll probably go and pick one of those up anyways for my youngest granddaughter when she comes to visit.

Words of wisdom, Thoughts, comments?

Thanks

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too big for the present time. You are going to be transplanting them to a permanent bed so that ought to do fine. You need a place for them to develop some and feeding them will take care of that. Crowns need a little more depth than they need width... I would use what you have and make sure they can grow down so the crowns develop a root system below them.
Thank You @farmerjan I decided the barn floor needs a cleaning so I'm just gonna use some "Barn Gold" duck poo, feathers, mud & saw dust for a big part of the kiddie pool and mix in a little peat moss and barn lime for good measure. Then hope and pray for the best.

If this works I'll use it again to sell 1 year crowns at our little community road side stand, I'm planning next year. I think it would be good to just dig around in the kiddie pool and pull out crows to sell. You know the would be good and fresh, ready to.plant 👍

Kiddie pools are cheap and screwed to a pallet it should be the bee's knees 🐝for bare root plants like asparagus.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How fresh is the barn scrapings? Might be too strong for the new asparagus... might burn them.... I would have gone with your original plans to do half and half with the peat and all on top for them to be able to reach down into the barn scrapings after they had grown a bit AND the barn stuff had had a chance to compost some...
Well it was just scraped off the barn floor but, good call 👍

I'll sample a few asparagus seedlings in there first, see how they do in there. I have some to experiment around with so it ain't no big deal. I did find that asparagus ferns turn yellow, if I applied to much fertilizer. But they quickly recover and new green growth after a few waterings of just water with no fertilizer. At this stage they are pretty fussy little buggers.

Next time I'm in town I'll pick up another kiddie pool full it with barn scrapings and peatmoss and direct seed Martha Washington Asparagus in it. This kiddie pool will become the fish out asparagus crowns, next spring.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter That kiddie pool of asparagus looks so healthy and green.
Do you have the asparagus bed ready to transplant into?
When are you planning to transplant it?
Yep, it's all ready tilled deep. I may till in some turkey / duck litter and a healthy dose of barn lime. But I won't set the crowns until the ferns die back late fall / early winter. Then I'll roll out a bale of hay over the bed and pray they pop up early spring.