Auto-Sexing Chickens for sale, SW Washington State

FarmLife

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
I would like to share my efforts of the past 5 years. I have created a line of dual purpose auto-sexing chickens. This strain, dubbed "Homestead Browns", was designed/created with the goal of self-sufficient homesteads in mind.

Many will say that auto-sexing breeds already exist - and they do. But most are harder to sex at hatch than my birds. For example, you can tell the sex of barred birds at birth - mostly. Or, you could buy an imported auto-sexing trio from bigger breeders, to the tune of three to four hundred dollars (a guess only, I really don't know what they charge).

Alternatively, some prefer to not deal with roosters, and like the sex linked crosses for egg production. If this is you, then my system won't meet your needs. There is always a balance between egg production and meat production.

My birds are for those who wish to maintain their own dual purpose flocks.

"Homestead Browns" are predominantly Wellsummer, but have been bred in such a way that telling males from females at hatch is simple. They are dual purpose - if you are looking for a fat-n-juicy meat bird, do not get these! If, however, you want a line of birds that are beautiful, good egg layers, will set their own eggs (or you can incubator hatch), are good foragers, and produce cockerals every year for the freezer, then these are a great match for you.

I have a spiral breeding program in mind. Ideally, folks would get together who are in commutable distance from one another, and I would supply birds from 3 different breeding lines to 3 different farms. Then, to keep the genetics clean through time, those 3 farms would trade roosters among themselves. So, it's also kind of a community based self-sufficiency thing.

My limitations? Well, shipping..... At this time, I can only sell to those that I can deliver to, or that can come here for pick up. Sorry about that, but it is reality.

Interested? Please contact me!
Barred Silvers 1 Week.jpg
Silver Roo 2 (GP) Silver Hens 1 SDW Hen 7 months.jpg
Sherri
SW Washington State

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts