Autumn Olive

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Russian olives in spring gag you with the sickly sweet scent of the flowers. It's just too much when there are acres of them blowing into town.
They are closer to summer here giving off a sickly sweet perfumery. Set my allergies off big time. But they are one of the few trees that can handle the soil conditions and the arid conditions here. They produce a heavy crop every year.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The berries are small but see that white film on them? That's wild yeast, like what you find on grapes. Now honestly I am perhaps overly cautious about how clean and sterilized my gear is when I brew or make wine. But I've always sterilized my musk and pitched store bought yeast. I've never had the "courage" to try and just let the wild yeast do its thing.

I may pick another bunch of autumn olives, not rinse them and crush, add sugar and water and see what happens. One will never know what might become if one never tries. Who knows It could be absolutely horrible or absolutely delicious. But I won't know unless I have courage and give it a try, by following this recipe ---> https://www.drinksplanet.com/ive-be...ild-yeast-that-is-on-the-berry...-724617.html

Just for the record... No one has talked me into a wild yeast autumn olive fermentation. "If" I do it, I did it of my own free will. This is incase I ferment up something that would not be good for me or anyone else 😲. Bravery or stupidity! 🤔 you decide...

Autumn olive berries covered in wild yeast. Wild yeast is just that "wild" and who knows if the wild yeast that grown on my autumn olives is good or bad??? We might just find out... that is "if" I'm brave or stupid enough to give it a try.
View attachment 16612

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Due to conditions beyond my control, I did not get two of my tart cherry trees picked this year. When I tried to pick them, they were already fermenting on the trees.