Avocado from Seed!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can, but I'm not sure you have the capability of housing a medium/small tree during the winter months. I live about 50 miles south of New Orleans. My grandparents and parents have had avocados and I have a tree started, which I won't have a problem growing....my daughter has some started and I imagine will be putting it in the exact location my grandparents had theirs.....she lives in their house.
The tree will like me more than you, but if you have a protected area to make an artifical summer escape, then maybe you can pull it off.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just go for it! I have a lemon tree/orange tree /key lime tree and a freaking banana in the house and I live in Michigan. Sure the lemon and key lime are still young but the orange makes oranges.. they go out in the spring and come inside in the fall.
I've had avocado's sprout in my compost in the summer but I have limited room to bring them in so the poor bitty things die..

If you don't try then you never know! lol I've tried to grow almost anything with a seed. it is always fun to experiment! Think of it as a learning experience.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd do it, but I'd keep it as dwarfed as I could, for as long as I could. Maybe you can keep it in the smallest pot you can for a few years and then graduallly go up a notch or 2 in the years to come. I hope you have 10ft ceilings, rather than 8.....that could help. I guess it can happen if you have a southern exposure.......or even if you have artificial lighting. Hey......eventually, you can even lightly decorate it and use it as a live Christmas tree. I would, anyway.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a 6 foot tall avocado when we lived at the apartment in Va Beach. Had that thing for 3 years, grown from a seed from one of the big avocados. It was a great conversation piece. No one would take it when we moved, so unfortunately it went to the trash. Some of my smaller plants found homes.

Mom and my aunt always liked sprouting the seeds when I was little, but no one had them get to actual trees.

We keep it too cool in the house here in winter, so I don't think I can grow one again.

Latest posts