Baby carrots! Ewwwwwww.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Baby Carrots you buy in the Supermarkets - Good to Know

The following is information from a farmer who grows
and packages Carrots for IGA, METRO, LOBLAWS, etc.

The small cocktail (baby) carrots you buy in small plastic bags are made using the larger crooked or deformed carrots which are put through a machine which cuts and shapes them into cocktail carrots. Most people probably know this already.

What you may not know and should know is the following: once the carrots are cut and shaped into cocktail carrots they are dipped in a solution of water and chlorine in order to preserve them (this is the same chlorine used in your pool) since they do not have their skin or natural protective covering, they give them a higher dose of chlorine.

You will notice that once you keep these carrots in your refrigerator for a few days, a white covering will form on the carrots, this is the chlorine which resurfaces. At what cost do we put our health at risk to have esthetically pleasing vegetables which are practically plastic?

We do hope that this information can be passed on to as many people as possible in the hopes of informing them where these carrots come from and how they are processed. Chlorine is a very well known carcinogen.

Please let us make this information available to as many people as possible. If you care about your family and friends, pass it on.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I never buy them.... why pay extra for itty bitty carrots when I can buy 3 lbs. of whole carrots for the same price? I guess I'm just cheap. :D

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Baby Carrots you buy in the Supermarkets - Good to Know

The following is information from a farmer who grows
and packages Carrots for IGA, METRO, LOBLAWS, etc.

The small cocktail (baby) carrots you buy in small plastic bags are made using the larger crooked or deformed carrots which are put through a machine which cuts and shapes them into cocktail carrots. Most people probably know this already.

What you may not know and should know is the following: once the carrots are cut and shaped into cocktail carrots they are dipped in a solution of water and chlorine in order to preserve them (this is the same chlorine used in your pool) since they do not have their skin or natural protective covering, they give them a higher dose of chlorine.

You will notice that once you keep these carrots in your refrigerator for a few days, a white covering will form on the carrots, this is the chlorine which resurfaces. At what cost do we put our health at risk to have esthetically pleasing vegetables which are practically plastic?Clorine is a gas so just what chlorine compound is forming this white residue?

We do hope that this information can be passed on to as many people as possible in the hopes of informing them where these carrots come from and how they are processed. Chlorine is a very well known carcinogen.Really chlorine is a very well known carcinogen? Funny I have never heard that. So the chlorine that makes our (city) tap water safe and is used in most swimming pools is going to give us cancer. I think you have been sold (or are selling) some misinformation! yep I am going to beleive some farmer over science every time. ~gd

Please let us make this information available to as many people as possible. If you care about your family and friends, pass it on.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup on the Snopes article.

I don't buy them either because I get my carrots from an organic farmer who sells at the farmer's market. They are always yummy sweet good-keeping Nantes variety carrots. This year we've expanded our garden to include rows of carrots so I will buy fewer from the market guy. :)

But whenever we have carrots at Girl Guide (like Girl Scouts) camp, the Quartermaster always buys those darn things, and the ones in the bottom of the bag are always slimy and going rotten. :sick So I don't know why they won't just buy good old regular carrots. :rolleyes:

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
JRmom said:
I never buy them.... why pay extra for itty bitty carrots when I can buy 3 lbs. of whole carrots for the same price? I guess I'm just cheap. :D
I'm the same way! I find that the regular carrots taste metter anyways, at least to me. :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
JRmom said:
I'm the same way! I find that the regular carrots taste metter anyways, at least to me. :)
Same. But they are convenient--I mean, you dont' have to peel and cut them--someone already did that for you. (said tongue in cheek of course)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My son won't touch the baby ones. It's the slime thing. I buy organic regular ones, give 'em a wash and cut them into sticks. that's what he's always had so the baby ones just don't seem "right" to him....

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't usually buy The "baby carrots" because they lack Real carrot taste. I did buy some for pickling (vinegar method) but they seem to be lacking flavor in the young pickles I am hoping they will improve with age like my spicy pickeled beets do.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had heard this awhile ago. It seems to me, by the time those carrots are processed into that cute size and I buy them in the store-the nutritional value has got to be just about nil...I grow my own baby carrots- plant your seed close together and when you thin them out, you will have adorable real baby carrots! Sweet and delish!