Baby Steps!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Had the best thing EVER happen today! My son called me for help. Not something new in most families maybe - but in my family it is usually me calling him for help. He has recently bought a home with some acreage. I tried to convince him that he has the perfect place for some 'critters' but he's not having it.

HOWEVER - he wants to plant a garden! He came and borrowed the tiller and after a couple of hours he calls asking if I can come over. Why, I ask? He says, a little sheepishly, that he needs help. I ask what kind of help and he says.... with the new garden.

I couldn't get there fast enough, lol. The house he bought has a beautiful raised garden about 30 x 30 roughly. The soil is beautiful! It tilled up fine and dark and loose and just awesome. But, after the tilling he didn't really know where to start. He told me that he's watched me for so many years that he thought he could just do it - but he wanted some guidance. I swear I thought my heart was gonna swell up and burst right there!

We rowed it up - even though I thought beds instead of rows might be better, it's his first garden and he wanted it to look like a 'regular' garden. So, it does. He had bought a bunch of seeds and was ready to stick them all in the ground. I persuaded him to wait on a few things like corn and purple hull peas. I told him that they need warm soil to germinate and even more heat to thrive. So, he planted cabbage. From seed... directly in the ground. No reason why it won't work - I've done it before but I did think that for his very first garden that he might want to start with plants. I just couldn't bring myself to try to dissuade him from anything. I'm tempted to sneak over there one day while he's at work and stick some plants in the ground, lol.

Ya'll keep your fingers crossed that his very first garden will be a success!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What a great story. You certainly sound like the proud (and content) Mama. Sounds like he has a nice garden area and rich soil. Howz about a few pics of it?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I had the biggest smile on my face, reading your post! I hope those seeds and all his future seeds planted will grow for him and he'll get to enjoy gardening as much as we do.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I remember an episode of Green Acres where they had some kids visiting them. I don't remember all of it, but I think the kids had planted stuff, and the wife snuck full grown plants in so the kids would be able to harvest what they planted.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got a pic...nothing but dirt at this point, lol. OH - and my husband says I'm off on my guesstimate of size... He says it's more of a rectangle.....
Scott's Garden.jpeg
:p Whatever, lol! :p

Still a few clumps of grass in the pic - we removed most of those after the pic was taken.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I have garden envy now… *sigh* My entire backyard at the moment is about that size.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have a more traditional type of garden, but I've never done the rows like that. I've never seen where you get more doing it that way.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ahhh, Sumi - hang in there! Your time (and the perfect place) is coming, I feel strongly about that.

Deb - how do you do your garden?

And so tonight he calls and asks what kind of fruit trees he can plant! Is this MY son?!?!!

He wants citrus trees and peach trees and told me I can plant a plum tree there. I have a really hard time with fruit trees here. My ground stays soggy longer than it should after a rain and if it's not that it's the goats sneaking in and eating them, or the pigs uprooting them... So maybe I can plant my orchard at his house! If work schedules allow we'll be heading off to the nursery this weekend. Yippee!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would be bragging too if that were my son! WOW! That is just plumb down-right finer than split frog hairs!