Baby turkeys - really bummed :(

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I lost 2 more baby turkeys today. One was cold and stiff when I found it. The other was flopping around. I picked it up and brought it in the kitchen. My wife and I gave it an eye dropper of water but it died while I was holding it. Only thing I can figure is may these 3 were Jake's and my Tom killed them. They all are healthy so it's all I can figure might have happened to them. :(

I have 3 baby turkeys left.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No external injuries? My husband said ours that were killed by our old tom had some injuries but it wasn't immediately obvious that was what had happened, we just caught him going after one so we figured he killed the others also.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you lost them :( :hugs It may be a good idea to separate them and and their mom for awhile until they are bigger and stronger?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I decided to separate the babies and the two hens. My wife helped me get them into the center yard. The Tom and roosters are in their own yard. The babies and hens into the center yard.

I went looking for the 4 roosters to put them in with the turkey tom. Just then my wife said there's three of them in the chicken layer yard. No sooner she said that all hell broke loose in the layer yard. My layer yard rooster was going after the 3 roosters and the three roosters where jumping on hens. I didn't close the door all the way in between the layer and turkey yard and they got in.

It took me a good 5 minutes to catch the three roosters and put them in with the turkey tom as my wife was laughing her ass off...

Those 3 roosters were on a rape and pillage mission and my layer yard rooster was like I'm gonna kill the all. All because I didn't close the door all the way.:barnie the excitement is all over now thank God - did you know roosters can really run fast when they don't want to be caught?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh... Roosters. I can't let any of my younger roosters near my main roo or they would probably be dead. That must have been chaos! Hope the mamas and babies do well now!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh... Roosters. I can't let any of my younger roosters near my main roo or they would probably be dead. That must have been chaos! Hope the mamas and babies do well now!

Utter chaos... I said to my wife as we were walking back up to the house - at least they are small easy to handle animals. She laughed at me and said small yes but that sure didn't look easy :lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We butchered my rooster today. I hated him and he hated me. He is resting in the refrigerator right now. I'll cook up a pot of rooster soup for my 2 year old grand daughter. He'd crow and she'd say, "Eat that mean rooster!" LOL

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We butchered my rooster today. I hated him and he hated me. He is resting in the refrigerator right now. I'll cook up a pot of rooster soup for my 2 year old grand daughter. He'd crow and she'd say, "Eat that mean rooster!" LOL

Mean rooster soup is the best chicken soup there is :) Next weekend I'm going to butcher my older hens and a few roosters. My first batch of hatchlings from last winter have started laying this week, so it's now time to refresh the flock.