Bag

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My backpack finally gave out. The zippers were the main structural component and they started failing too often for me to repair. So I'm in the market for a new bag.

I usually carry 1 MRE, small first-aid kit, rain gear (summer), snow pants and extra socks (winter), and a 1 L water bottle. So not much, really.

I want a bag with side pockets because I find these are very useful when on the move (as in, walking to work). Also, the structure of the bag cannot depend on zippers. Buttons and straps would be much preferred. I don't know where that leaves me... I don't even care if I have to use an external rain fly.

I'm considering whether or not I should make my own. I've looked around on the net and can't find anything that's quite right.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I think making your own would be really nice. A good quality canvas material and nice big buttons..you could even make some wood buttons :D Then you could design it just the way you want. I don't do backpacks, but a good sturdy canvas crossover bag would be nicer in my opinion.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
good one Joel! plus those aren't as popular at military surplus stores so that means cheaper!