bags

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think the internet is tired of bug-out-bags discussions but I thought I'd share what I've done recently, version 1 and 2.

First, there was a big wave that hit some part of SE Asia. In the ensuing discussion, it became apparent that systems that are only for emergency are not usually maintained. So they wanted to make the tsunami warning system into part of the national weather grid or some such. That's when I realized that it's not good enough to have some supplies somewhere, if you can find them, if they're still good, etc. You need something that's useful every day.

Another "thing" I noticed is that everyone is planning for the worst-worst-case scenario. Like, TSHTF, throw in the guns, pack a giant knife, etc. But for me, usually, it's something much less dramatic. Once I forgot my wallet at home and almost ran out of gas while in town. Pretty stupid. So I put a 20 $ bill in my bag. Occasionally I need a bandage or nail clipper during the day.

So I've been carrying a pack with the essentials. I take it to work every day. For a while I used a hiking bag but that was just too big. I got a smaller bag but the camo was too conspicuous. I threw in a hiking first-aid kit (REI), sneakers, rain gear, socks, work gloves, misc calories, a faom mat, etc. Basically it was heavy and overkill for my normal usage. So after 2 years of experimenting with that, I'm trying something new.

Version 2: Individual bags and a car bag. Individual bags with mini first aid kits and the bare minimum other stuff (includes a CAT). There's a summer and winter version. Its small enough that I can expect my small children to throw it in the bottom of their school bags. The car bag has a lot more stuff in it. Footware, full first-aid kit, water, empty gas tank, small hand saw, etc.

I'm curious what others of you do for real-life emergency situations.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just moved from hurricane land, where we at least had notification of pending doom. LOL I would buy new outside type plastic trash cans with lids, place on porch and fill with water. Also filled everything I could find with water. Always had stocked pantry, made extra ice in freezer. Had a generator, but when power is out, guess what? Power is out at gas station too.

Bread. Bread is first thing stripped from grocery shelves. Be prepared to make your own, even if only flour tortillas.

Bug out bag? I'm staying home. We got snow and ice storms at new place, but never lost power. We want to put in a wood burning heater, house is all electric.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What you're describing is the difference between a bug out bag (or a get home bag, which is similar but not exactly the same) and everyday carry. Everyday carry, or EDC, means just that- the things you carry everyday that are useful in so many ways, but don't take up a lot of room. Like a swiss army knife or leatherman type tool... an energy bar or bag of peanuts... a mini flashlight... a mini first aid kit... a whistle... a pocket mirror... a bic lighter.. a handkerchief... maybe a water filter straw or a paracord bracelet. The everyday carry is stuff that you either use often or is so small and light that you can carry it with you all the time and might just make the difference between surviving and not surviving in an emergency. It should ideally be carried on your person at all times, since in the event of a major disaster you might not be able to get to your car. Having layers of disaster relief is a really good idea, since each additional layer should ideally have more items to make survival more likely.

One thing I read about that sounds like a good idea is to sit down and brainstorm all the possible emergencies and disasters you can think of that might happen... from forgetting to take meat out to thaw for dinner (that happens to me a LOT and believe me... it's a disaster! lol) to a meteor strike.
Then prioritize them according to A)likelihood of happening in your area, and B)level of disaster (is it an annoyance vs is it life threatening, etc). For instance, in my area, wildfire is a constant threat in the summer, but I've never heard of a tornado here... so my preps will necessarily be a little different than someone in the Midwest (we don't necessarily need a storm cellar, but we need to know all the possible exit roads for evacuating, and a vehicle that can go cross country might be advantageous)
Once you know what emergencies you want to prepare for, it's a lot easier to figure out a plan of action.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time thinking of an emergency that would require "bugging out". I could improve by having stuff in the car that would help me GET home though.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
For me, the thing that I need to worry about is hurricanes or windstorms knocking out the power. I'm working to get things set up for that. And I'm also working to have things set up at the farm for a major power outage there as well.

One thing that I do is try to keep gas on hand for both the generator and my motorcycle. It's much easier to get around on the bike than the truck if there's trees down. I have 2-2 1/2 gallon gas cans for my bike. If the tank is full as well as both cans, I can go around 450 miles. We have 3-5 gallon cans for the generator. And, I think the tank on that holds about 5 gallons. As long as we don't run it 24/7, that gas would last us quite some time.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise , we had to bug out (aka evacuate) last year because a fire was coming close. Might have to do it again this year. Granted, we didn't need to camp on the land-- just headed closer to town to stay at a friend's house, but I made sure we had our important papers, photos, pets, and a few changes of clothes. We have a couple of tubs, already packed, that we use for camping, that we could have grabbed if we knew we were going to rough it, and the only time I can see those being used would be if we were escaping a huge group of 2-legged predators a'la "One Second After". I wouldn't expect anything like that until some time after SHTF. Smaller groups I think we could defend ourselves and our home.

I've been trying to set things up so we'd have a minimal need for power. I know we can do ok with oil lamps and candles, cooking over a fire, and using books and board or card games instead of TV and internet. We still need a manual pump for the well, a wood-burning stove for heat and cooking indoors, and a some way to generate the small amount of electricity we would need for the freezer and refrigerator. Mostly though, we are ok for most of the emergencies and disasters that I would expect to crop up-- the ones that would last a month or less. Armageddon is a whole 'nother ball of wax, though.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i have a small get home bag that i carry in my car with me with simple things like a couple of energy bars, a water filter straw, a small wire saw, fire starting material, a light weight shelter/survival blanket, a small flashlight and a first aide kit. things that are light weight enough for this old broad to carry that would get me home safely. I'm kind of like @tortoise once i get home I'm here to stay. i won't be bugging out, i'll be hunkering down. prep at the house is a whole other story. like @Britesea i agree that you have to look at what is most likely to happen where you live. Arklahoma is truly the tornado capital of the world and i prepare for that. simple things like a five gallon bucket with a change or two of clothes, an extra pair of shoes, a little cash money and a months worth of prescription meds. there is a bucket for every family member. bucket #2 has a few mre's, a water straw, a first aide kit and that sort of thing. the buckets are sealed to keep every thing dry and safe and stored in my underground storm cellar. it helps that i store canned goods in the cellar too. whether it is a tornado, an ice storm, a wildfire or stuff hitting the fan i'll be ok for a while.