bake your cakes in a frying pan, on the stove

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have always loved baking; esp cakes and other sweets. But I live in the deep south and it gets really hot in the summer......not a time to light up the oven. Plus it takes 30 to 40 mins to bake a cake.
Well lately I have reduced the ingredients in my cake recipes by one third and I put the batter in a buttered skillet and cover it and put it on medium heat for only 10 minutes and shut it off.....without removing the lid (its still baking). Then I turn it back on after about 20 minutes of waiting around, but only for 5 minutes and again shut it off and wait for only a few mins to pass and then I sneak a peak. Its done by that time though. I cool it off and flip it onto a plate.
I use less gas and don't heat up my kitchen too much.........so my AC isn't overworked either.
I have also done this for cornbread and biscuits. Only problem is you have biscuits that look like slices of pie.
I feel like its a winner in my house. Gives me more freedom to cook what I want, without suffering afterwards.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for sharing! I'll have to try this. :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Wonderful suggestion! :clap

I am assuming that you are using a cast iron skillet, right?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good idea
never thought of the stovetop for those things

I bought a very small toaster oven

boy I use that sucker ALL the time
like u, being in hot NC I never turn on the oven hardly

everything is done in my toaster oven lol

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have used cast iron and magnalite.
Also, I try not to start a big project while doing this, but allow myself to finish off things real quick and nearby. I have burnt the bottom's of a few cakes and needed to trim them off, due to getting forgetful with a new chore.
When I don't trust myself, I put on a timer.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea that is something that is a pain

walking away from the stovetop lol

I did it many times and results were very bad LOL

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We use the slow cooker a lot during summer. I have threatened my family with death if they turn on the oven :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Great idea, I have the Southern heat too. I fry cornbread sometimes (johnny cakes) but never actually thought to try to bake it your way. Gonna try this tonight. Thanks a million

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I lived on a boat and didn't have an oven, there was a pan which could be used as an oven. It sorta looked like an angel food cake pan which sat on a ring and had a lid. The bread, cakes, potatoes, or whatever was being baked would go inside the ring so if it was a cake or bread it was always circular shaped when it was done. I forget who manufactured the pan, but it worked real well, even if the whole kitchen was at an angle or lurching from side to side.

Latest posts