Baking inside on my wood burning stove??

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have a wood burning stove that I LOVE in the winter!! We only turned on our heater one time last year and it was when we were gone for a few days (didnt want the pipes to freeze).
I love to cook soups and stews on the stove as well as eggs and bacon...pretty much anything in a skillet or pot...but how can I make something so I can bake on top the stove. Ive seen camp stoves that I can put on top of the stove, but most of them are too big and would hang off the side of the stove so I would probably need to make something.
Has anyone made anything like this and have any advice? Or even if you havent made one, do you have advice??
Thanks

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is a picture of the wood stove we have...
1249_wood_stove.jpg

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can do some limited baking in a Dutch oven, or so I've read....you can build a campfire outside to do this so as not to heat up your kitchen too much. Carla Emery's book, The Encyclopedia of Country Living, has an article on it. You can probably find some stuff online, too.

If it is hot enough where you live, you might also try the solar cooker made from a cardboard box to do some limited baking. Outside.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ABHanna4d said:
Well I suppose you could make or have made a metal box to sit on the Top with vents that would allow you to control the heat within. I can't answer if it would produce enough heat to bake with. Try the dutch oven, if you can't bake in it this box oven won't work either. You need the dutch oven that does not have feet, you want good contact with the stove You can preheat the cover on the stove to give you a better chance of working. Timing is going to be guess work since you will lose heat every time you peek.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
That stove top may not get hot enough, have you tried to boil water yet? A pure copper bottom pot will conduct the best for quick boiling and such but wont hold heat like a dutch oven which will also take a lot longer to heat.

Most of these types of stoves are not designed to cook on or to burn while the door is open either. Mine has a hinged top so I can set things right on the fire box but is also 30 years old and not insulated.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
xpc said:
That stove top may not get hot enough, have you tried to boil water yet? A pure copper bottom pot will conduct the best for quick boiling and such but wont hold heat like a dutch oven which will also take a lot longer to heat.

Most of these types of stoves are not designed to cook on or to burn while the door is open either. Mine has a hinged top so I can set things right on the fire box but is also 30 years old and not insulated.
The stove produces enough heat to boil small quantities of water, but not a large pot. I can get a large stock pot to a low simmer...and I usually do that at night to produce some moisture in the air.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, I thought you had a wood cookstove! I don't think the Dutch oven will work well if you can only get a small pot to boil...boiling is only a bit over 200 F and most baked goods need a minimum of 350 F.

You can make classic English muffins on a griddle on the top of a stove...I never made them, but I remember my mother making them.

Latest posts