Bald eagles - hopefully not hunting and fishing

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
they're everywhere here!!! See several every day in summer - tourists love it. A couple years ago they were circling over my chicken coop all day, every day. We lost a few chickens that year to birds of prey, probably eagles. :/ People with little dogs are very careful here!

WildBird

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just went to a place that was swarming with bald eagles! There must have been at least 30, and a few golden eagles besides (yes, I know the difference between a golden eagle and a young bald eagle, and we saw both!)! When we asked around they said bald eagles and a few golden eagles gather there every year from January to February. The weird thing was that most the people didn't even look at the eagles for more than a seconed, while my group would gasp every time one flew near and gawk at them as they flew above us in groups of 5-10.

Despite the fact that they steal from other raptors I think they are beautiful birds, as long as they stay away from my coop. I don't have bald eagles living near me, I have seen a couple but they don't stick around and don't show any interest in my chickens. It's the red-tails and other hawks I have to worry about.

There I go rambling on about birds again. Hope I didn't bore you all to death:gig

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@WildBird did you visit Klamath Falls, Oregon by any chance? Klamath County supposedly has the largest concentration of bald eagles in the lower 48, and it peaks in January/February. We have a festival and everything.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are a few "pairs" here and are protected. Last year there was a young one that was looking for territory and did move on after a few weeks here near me. Actually, there was a cam set at one of the nests a couple yrs ago to watch the hatching. That's how few pairs we have -- it's TV fare!

With the rivers and farms, there's enough small, wild game but, they do not play fair. Your flocks are at risk! We have the red tails all around here. Now that is a bird that can take way more than their own size! With deer kill we have a good amount of vulture here. So far, generally enough road kill to keep them away from the small animal livestock. They are always circling though!

WildBird

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@WildBird did you visit Klamath Falls, Oregon by any chance? Klamath County supposedly has the largest concentration of bald eagles in the lower 48, and it peaks in January/February. We have a festival and everything.
That's sounds awesome!!! I went to some place in Idaho, I can't remember exactly where, but hopefully I'll be able to stop by Klamath Falls sometime in the next few years!