Banana Jam

Buttercup Chillin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Someone asked for this recipe in one of the threads, so here it is.
I copied this recipe from a newspaper back in the 80's I think, Ball has a similar recipe now in their special preserving booklets, but it calls for Pectin.

Jamaican Banana Jam Makes 4 Cups

1/4 Cup Lime Juice (I use lemon Juice)
4 Cups diced, firm, ripe bananas, (about 6 large or 3lbs.)
2 1/4 Cups sugar
1/2 Water.

Place lime juice in a 1 quart measure. Peel banana's dice directly into lime juice. Stir with wooden spoon after each banana to coat with the juice. (I pat them down to make sure I have a full 4 cups).
Measure sugar and water into a wide at least 2 1/2 quart saucepan, (it will splatter a bit) stir to dissolve sugar as you bring to a boil the syrup. COVER TIGHTLY, boil for 1-2 minutes, so steam will wash the sugar crystals from side of pan.

Uncover, add banana, gently boil over low heat about 30 min, or until thick. (If it seems to be taking forever and I get impatient, I'll mash it with a bean masher, that speeds things up, otherwise it can take 45 minutes, depending on were your heat setting is).

Stir often to prevent sticking, especially during the last 10 minutes.

Jam is done when a spoon scraped across bottom of pan leaves a track that closes slowly, and when jam mounds slightly when stirred. (Think of apple butter).

Spoon at once into sterilized jars and seal in water bath 5 min. Paraffin will not tightly seal this jam as it is so thick it mounds.

Todays canning calls for waterbathing longer, so follow the Ball canning book for their apple butter. I have also made this and just put it in 2 pint jars in the fridge. I have also frozen the jars that for whatever reason didn't seal. This is the kids and grandkids favorite jam, right up there above strawberry preserves and homemade apple butter. I make at least 6 1/2 pints per person, yearly. Its good because it can be made any time of the year, especially when bananas are cheap. I shop for overripes on Mondays. I usually save this and cranberry banana jam for making in the winter. OH, if you try to make a double batch it will take forever to cook. I just make batch after batch.

One taste and my neighbor went out and bought a pan just to make this recipe of Banana Jam in, she doesn't can but I had to teach her how to make this.

Enjoy, we sure do.