bay leaves for remedies / roll your own

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My mother was telling me she needs to pick up some more bay leaves to replace the year old ones she has. When I asked her shy, she told me that Bay leaves keeps bugs (all kinds I guess) out of her cupboards. She puts the leaves into some nylon knee highs and ties them shut. SHe throws them down into the cupboard. She buys them at the Family dollar so they arent to expensive. Bay leaves everyone!!!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
ooooo, good idea! I may have to try that one...I used to use 'hedge balls' to keep bugs out, but they end up rotting and smelling so I quit.

FYI: Hedge balls are a fruit from a hedge tree, extremely hard wood, and do a fine job against bugs. I'll get pics today and share if I have time.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wonder if it works for ants. We have had so many ants in our kitchen this year!!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
BTW sweet bays are an easy house plant to grow- can't take hard frost but I over-winter in the house wo problems.
Ca bay are hardier but not so good for cooking.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
krjwaj said:
I wonder if it works for ants. We have had so many ants in our kitchen this year!!
if you have ants comming into your house I read to sprinkle a line of cinnamon across the door step and they wont cross over it.

thanks for mentioning the bay leaves, my friends mom just cleaned all her cupboards because of an infested box of oatmeal and I couldnt remember what herb it was that kept them out.

Latest posts