Beans....to soak or not to soak is the question....

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is it really better or more nutritional to soak the beans before cooking them? If so....in what way? Or does it really matter one way or the other? For years I used to soak them overnight before cooking until one time I had forgotten and ended up just cooking them all day until done and haven't soaked them since. Today I plan on making some homemade chili that will be simmering all day until supper time & once again I haven't soaked the beans.......Does it really matter? Or am I cooking out any nutrients?

Thanks for any info :D

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Soaking beans makes them more digestible and allows your body more access to the nutrients. It also cuts down on gas ;)

If you don't soak, much of the phytic acid and some indigestible sugars remain which block nutrient absorption.

eta: here's an article that explains in more depth.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Soaking removes Phytates, and prevents gas, which is the beans fermenting in the belly, something that we should prevent occurring. Not at all healthy. Very hard on the stomach lining and the intestine.
Phytates are what cause grains, seeds and nuts to sprout. They cause cavitations and gastric distress, and over time, whether or not we realize it, slowly cause leaky gut to occur.

Many people will say that they have no issues with such things.
But, I cannot begin to count the number of elderly people I know that have trouble digesting things.

Don't stress about today's beans though. Enjoy them, and then soak a huge batch of beans, then freeze them for easy prep in the future.
Science has recently proven that using an acid that contains calcium is not effective at soaking properly, so vinegar or lemon juice are better choices, over whey or other dairy products.
Just add a glug to your beans that are well covered in water, and soak for 12-24 hours.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great......that's good to know and thanks for the info & link. Maybe I'll put off the chili until tomorrow & soak in the meantime. With hubby & 2 young boys......anything to cut down on that 'gastric distress' would be a good thing :lol:

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have done it both ways and haven't noticed any difference, digestionwise. I did not know the science behind it, though. I though soaking them just softened them up to make them easier to cook. Now I will try to remember to soak them.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
SOAK THEM! :D

Your nose will thank you! LOL
Is that called 'Olaphactary (sp?) distress'????? :lol: Or the not breathing in 'Upper respiratory distress' :gig

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Soaking removes Phytates, and prevents gas, which is the beans fermenting in the belly, something that we should prevent occurring. Not at all healthy. Very hard on the stomach lining and the intestine.
Phytates are what cause grains, seeds and nuts to sprout. They cause cavitations and gastric distress, and over time, whether or not we realize it, slowly cause leaky gut to occur.

Many people will say that they have no issues with such things.
But, I cannot begin to count the number of elderly people I know that have trouble digesting things.

Don't stress about today's beans though. Enjoy them, and then soak a huge batch of beans, then freeze them for easy prep in the future.
Science has recently proven that using an acid that contains calcium is not effective at soaking properly, so vinegar or lemon juice are better choices, over whey or other dairy products.
Just add a glug to your beans that are well covered in water, and soak for 12-24 hours.
I thought phytates were what kept them from sprouting?

Thanks for the info about the calcium; I didn't know that, and have been using whey. It will be vinegar in the future.

Latest posts