Bear Meat

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My step dad is a hunter, and he got a bear tag last year and managed to get a bear. He is offering me some of the meat, but I've never tried bear before. Anyone else tried bear? Is it good, and how do you cook it?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I had it once as a teen and it was delicious. The neighbor who cooked it said it has a strong flavor and has to be cooked in certain ways, usually with pork. She made a French Acadian dish called "six pot" (said en Francais) in which about six different meats are braised in a Dutch oven for several hours, always including some fatty pork. If I remember correctly she had bear, pork, quail, beef, chicken, and maybe something else....you use what you have. This was a young bear, however, hit by their logging truck on the way home from the woods.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have had bear jerky (peppered) and it was delicious! I imagine like any wild game there is a right and wrong way to bring out optimum flavor.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I have never actually eaten bear, but a co-worker's hubby usually gets at least one a year. She says it depends heavily on what food the bear has been eating how the meat will taste. Fishing bear tastes different from berries bear.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bear is yummy! I'll see if I can find you a couple recipes.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
valmom said:
I have never actually eaten bear, but a co-worker's hubby usually gets at least one a year. She says it depends heavily on what food the bear has been eating how the meat will taste. Fishing bear tastes different from berries bear.
Hmmm, no clue what this bear ate (other than the bait that was put out--cookies, cakes, and other junk).

I think I will take the meat and definately try making some jerky. Can't go wrong with jerky, right? :fl

AnnaRaven, if you could find some recipes, that would be awesome. Thanx!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Britesea said:
Never had bear; but I've been told it's good with apple
It is good any way that red meat is prepared. The key is to never overcook it.
Bring it to 150 and no higher.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
IME, bear tastes similar to beef, but cook it like pork. It is a fattier meat, and quite delicious and tender. As opposed to what BBrooks says, you need to cook the meat well. If it is undercooked, it can cause trichinosis, which is caused by a parasite that bear and pig can have. Here is more info on it. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/

When we lived up north, bear was a staple in our house. And as long as it wasn't a garbage bear,it will be delicious.

Yo don't realy need special recipes, but if yo tel us what cut it is, we can give you some pointers. but definitely take what you can get. I mess having bear meat in my freezer.

Latest posts