bears

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else has had problems with bears...
there is a foresty area behind our property, so it is understandable that wildlife is there...
and I saw a black and a brown earlier this summer they were georgeous...but comfortably behind the fence...
but they have managed to break the fencing...It is just wire..as we dont want to block out any of the feel of the trees around us..
first night they tore at part of the chicken coop...i had a slid up outside window that they managed to rip off...
amd took a blueberrie bush...which was a looss.they were the most lovely tart flavorfull berries...but no more...
then that day i saw a young bear...on the property, ran off when it saw me...but if i had come around the path like i usually, do
could have been scarry if momma was arround..
I had someone here helping me and they came back with a electric fence box...so that will be in the works..monday...
but it is not a comforting thought that they have the run of the place pooping everywere..actually i think i scarred on off last night
with pots an pans..not that big so am thinking it is a momma and baby around...

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is it government land behind your house? If so, maybe the forestry department could be of some help. I have read enough on BYC that bears are a big problem in some areas, for trying to keep the chickens safe., They are much stronger than the raccoons and coyotes that the rest of the country has to deal with. I think you are going in the right direction with the electric fencing. May have to put several strands up, tho. It would help with the deer getting in the yard, too. Good luck.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was very thankfull...they didn't get at the chickens...only somefeed..but they haven't been
laying nearly as much so probably got spooked..
it is owned land for sale behind..we tryed to buy it but didn't end out working out...
we have seen deers other years...but not this year...so far they didnt figure out how
to get in...that could definately be a disaster...
this year we have had lots of cyotes howling back there...I sort of respected that there
but attacking the chicken pen took it to a whole different reality

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bears are the one thing I somehow don't have to worry about. I've had several coops, but only now do I have a coop that my local wildlife can't touch....still I think if I lived in an area which had bears, I'd have a coop similar to what I now have, but more macho. I think you can live with all forms of wildlife, so long as you understand where you are and bloom where you planted.
Now I don't know how protected bears are, but I can tell you what I do with my worse predators....coons....I eat them. If bears were my problem, I'd make the strongest coop, garden, yard fence, etc....which I could afford and otherwise, unless they are protected, I'd fill my freezer. Sorry if that offends anyone, but thats how I'd solve my problem.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Check w/your local wildlife department and see what they say about bears. If they're a nuisance, they might need to be moved, not only for your protection but for theirs.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've never had bear before. We went camping a week or so ago and on the way home we passed a HUGE golden brown bear. It was sitting on the side of the road and I thought it was carved from a tree stump until it started to run up the hill. We went back and looked at the tree it had been next to and guessed it to be about 6ft tall sitting on its rump. Usually we have the smaller black bears. If we had seen that before camping we would have turned around. It was half a mile from our camp site.

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Check w/your local wildlife department and see what they say about bears. If they're a nuisance, they might need to be moved, not only for your protection but for theirs.
Are you saying, the bears need protection from me? :lol:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Probably both of the bears you've seen are Ursus americanus - commonly called a "black bear", even if the color is brown or golden. That's mainly what we have here where I live, at my elevation. The "Alaskan Brown Bear" is different. He's a grizzly (Ursus arctos horribilis) and is quite dangerous.

We live with bears as constant presence (or potential presence). They only occasionally get onto our domestic properties around here, but they're part of the general situation. Along with deer, coyotes, racoons, squirrels, eagles & hawks, ravens, and such.

Yes, I'd say if the forest service can help you out, that might be your best initial option.

Deer were such a problem for people's food and decorative gardens that most people have refenced in the last five years. We did that on our own place four years ago (six-and-a-half-foot fencing wire), and it's worked completely for the deer. But for a few days last year and the year before, a bear was climbing over. So we're going to electric fencing.

What's recommended is a good strong fence charger and two strands of wire a couple inches outside of your existing fence - one at 14" or so above the ground, one at about 36". You can then bait the wire strands to attract the bear, so that s/he gets a good shock on the nose and learns not to challenge your fenceline.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Mr.Andersson said:
Denim Deb said:
Are you saying, the bears need protection from me? :lol:
Yes and no. I know in places, if there are bears that become a nuisance to the general population, the bear can end up being destroyed to protect the people-especially in areas where the locals are so against bear hunting. They view them as these cute, cuddly overgrown teddy bears and fail to realize the dangers. (I know, I'm preaching to the choir here, but I'll admit this type of attitude irks me. :hide )