Bee Pollen

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I bought 2 oz of bee pollen at the farmer's market last Sunday. She said to mix about 1 tsp into a smoothie or something like that. She also said it is full of vitamins etc.

Who else uses bee pollen and why?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I use local raw honey for its pollenesque properties! :D I use it like allergy injections....gives my body a small dose of the things I am allergic to and helps me build my immune system against these. And it really works. Tastes better than pollen, too! ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I use local raw honey for its pollenesque properties! :D I use it like allergy injections....gives my body a small dose of the things I am allergic to and helps me build my immune system against these. And it really works. Tastes better than pollen, too! ;)
I'm so clueless, I didn't realize it was already in raw local honey! I always buy raw local honey to begin with! I'm such a dummy! :rolleyes: :p

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I don't think there would be much pollen in local honey, or nonlocal, for that matter. The bees store pollen in some cells, honey in others. I suppose if they switch things around (which they do), there would be residue of pollen in the honey, but nothing even slightly close to what you would get by actually taking pollen. Plus, most people produce honey by extracting it, a spinning process. If they used crush and strain, that would be more likely to incorporate any residual pollen.

I hear that taking pollen is something best started slowly, watching for allergic symptoms.

I take pollen sometimes :) When I cut my honeycomb, there were a few cells of packed pollen that got included. It adds another layer of flavor :)

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
There is some pollen in raw honey, but if you want a good concentration of it, go for harvested pollen.