Bee stings? What works, what doesn't?

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My son was stung in the upper eye lid yesterday and of course I freaked out. I am very allergic and he is not but I was still very worried since he was stung in the eyelid. His eye had already swollen shut by the time in got inside. I gave him some benedryl and the swelling had gone down by this morning. ( I did call the Dr. to make sure what I was doing was ok) I was always told by my father to put a paste of baking soda and water on a sting and leave it till it dries. I have done this many times and it has always helped but I did not want to put it near DS's eye. Have any of you heard of it? Do you have other remeides that work for you. My boys have all been stung and none are allergic. I am just looking for some ideas to help with the pain or discomfort of a sting.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I think baking soda/water paste would be safest around the eye. I recently found the healing powers of toothpaste--for a bee sting. Takes the sting out right away!!, but I wouldn't put that near the eye.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Depending on how close the sting was to the edge of the lid, a dab of these remedies shouldn't hurt. ACV takes the sting out almost immediately as well. I've even had success with ammonia!

In this case, ice would help a lot. My boys tell me that popsicles are particularly therapeutic for bee stings! :D ;) Taken internally, they seem to dispell some of the discomfort! :lol:

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I knew you all would have some great ideas. I had never heard of the toothpaste and never thought of ACV. He was stung in the middle of the upper lid. Kind of where the crease is. I did not want to put anything on it that could have accidentally gotten in his eye. This is the third time he has been stung this year and one of my other sons has been stung once. I don't know why but it always seems to be one of those two that gets stung when all the kids are out playing. Our neighbors boys have not been stung once?! I wonder if there is a certain element that draws the bees to my boys? Maybe just that they are so sweet. ;)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Ya'll will probably think I'm crazy and I would have too, before I tried it. I got an email from a friend that said to put a penny on the sting.

A few weeks later I was stung by a red wasp on the ball of my hand when I held the door open to go into a mall. I hadn't been stung by a wasp in a long time and it hurt like the dickens. I got a penny out of my purse and put it on the sting and closed my hand over it. The pain started disappearing immediately. I took it off and it would start throbbing again.

After about 5 minutes, the pain was gone and no swelling at all. I don't know why or how but it does work, however, I'm sure some areas would be more painful and tend to swell more.

I hope your son is OK!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The lawn weed, plantain, is a good remedy. Take a leaf and mash it up with just a touch of olive oil and put that on the sting. If you get stung yourself, you can chew up a leaf and put it right on the fresh sting. This is a beekeeper remedy that everyone swears works like a charm. I'm a beek, but I haven't been stung in literally years, so I haven't been able to try this out.

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
At the time of sting. Immediately pick up some dirt, spit on it, making mud and apply this mud to the sting. Takes a few minutes but as the mud dries it draws all the venom out and no swelling or pain.Been doin this all my life and i'm ollllld :lol:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Janet&Jim said:
At the time of sting. Immediately pick up some dirt, spit on it, making mud and apply this mud to the sting. Takes a few minutes but as the mud dries it draws all the venom out and no swelling or pain.Been doin this all my life and i'm ollllld :lol:
I've done this before when nothing else was available, but just recently found out about the toothpaste. It works better, but not always accessible.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Plantain and olive oil OR baking soda and water to make a paste are both good for bee stings.

Try to scrape the stinger out with a credit card. Don't pinch the stinger. When you pinch it, more venom is pushed into the skin.