1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Laugh(s) for the day and over 100k views for this thread can't be wrong. Keep them coming
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Beef Bone Broth

Discussion in 'The Homestead Kitchen - Recipes Etc' started by baymule, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Jan 11, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Today we went to a local USDA inspected family owned slaughter house. We bought 9 pounds of beef bones for $1 a pound. They are cut in 3" pieces. I tried to roast them, but the marrow melted, ran out on the pan and was smoking. Next time I'll have them sliced lengthwise.

So they are simmering on the stove, I'll put them in the refrigerator before I go to bed. In the morning I'll put them back on the stove.

There is already bits of marrow floating in the broth. Should I skim the fat off or can it too. Would it get rancid or spoil?

IMG_2304.JPG

CrealCritter likes this.
  2. Jan 12, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

The problem with trying to can fatty liquid is that when the liquid boils during the canning process, the fat can get onto the rubber seal and prevent things from sealing properly-- even if it appears to have a seal, if you see fat on the outside of the can you may have a partly compromised seal, which might not show up right away. The best way to avoid that besides skimming the fat is to make sure you are generous with the head allowance.

On the other hand, if you can skim the fat and refrigerate it, you can use it for pan-frying. Marrow fat adds an almost sinful richness to scrambled eggs!

Hinotori and sumi like this.
  3. Jan 12, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

It won't get rancid or spoiled if canned. You can cool it in the fridge overnight and skim off as much fat as you can when it solidifies on top, but you can never get it all. No worries about that, as it will add good unction to your soup later on. You can freeze what you skim and add it to recipes later on.

4. Jan 13, 2018
    baymule

Thanks for your replies and advice. I decided to freeze this batch because I'll be using it pretty quick and freezing it was easier. I'm getting more bones next week and I'll can that broth.

I cut up an onion, carrots, celery, garlic cloves, ginger and dried cayenne pepper pods. I put the pot on the refrigerator over night. This morning I divided it into two pots and simmered all day.

I strained it through a colander and a screen strainer. Some of the solids got mixed in the dog food tonight, they'll get the rest tomorrow night.

Broth yield; 1 half gallon jar and 2 quart jars in the refrigerator. I save plastic containers and put six 16 ounce sour cream containers of broth in the freezer. I'll give a quart to my son in law to see if he likes it.

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

At noon today we enjoyed piping hot cups of bone broth, it hit the spot on a cold day!

IMG_2316.JPG

sumi and Beekissed like this.
  5. Jan 13, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Looks so good I can almost taste it! :drool

Actually, makes me want some French onion soup.

baymule likes this.
  6. Jan 13, 2018
    baymule

Got a recipe for it?