Been busy in my barn....

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
All you guys and your journals are leaving me alot of reading to do. :) I really want to start one too, but I have been busy--too busy to spend much time on the computer, or even in the house for that matter.

I got two new rabbits--Californian, one buck and one doe Add those to the two ones I had previously, who are both does, I will be ready to raise some more meat for my family.

So we have been busy getting them all set up in the barn--altering a six-stall cage into a three stall cage for the does, (the buck gets his own cage accross from them, and we set up a large cage for the future babies.

We also got new stall mats for the horses, so we installed them in the barn also.

We are slowly getting ready for winter around here. Hopefully I will have time to catch up on the weekend, but only if it rains like it sys its gonna. :frow

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey, wonderful on the rabbits! Can't wait till you start your journal, but take your time, we'll be here all winter ;)

How do you keep a rabbits water thawed in the winter? I've always wondered abou that because they have such small water dishes it would be frozen in a matter of minutes

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Hey, wonderful on the rabbits! Can't wait till you start your journal, but take your time, we'll be here all winter ;)

How do you keep a rabbits water thawed in the winter? I've always wondered abou that because they have such small water dishes it would be frozen in a matter of minutes
Right now, they have inverted bottles with nozzles, and I might be able to use them in the winter--I jsut might have to have a few in the house and change them out every several hours. Mind you our winter here isn't as cold as where you are. If changing out the bottles doesn't work, i have crocks that I can change out several times throughout the day.

This is the first winter I've had them, so I will see how it goes. for the chickens, I put their waterer in a heated dog bowl., and the horses have a heated tub too. I don't work outside the home, so hopefully it will go ok.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Right now, they have inverted bottles with nozzles, and I might be able to use them in the winter--I jsut might have to have a few in the house and change them out
That's what we used to do. Then I got a gravity fed line waterer and wrapped the line with heat tape, because we had gotten up to quite a few rabbits. This worked very well. Keeping the bottles swapped out is a pretty good method. Works well in the summer also, to give them cooler water.

You will have to post pics of the babies....I miss rabbit babies! :)

Latest posts