Bees

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am allergic to bees and this makes it hard to be outside and garden. I want to do an overhaul on my yard and get the weeds out and turn the ground up a bit. Basically I have a little list.

- Pull up/destroy weeds
- Pull up/destroy all plant life in yard
- Sweep concrete patio
- Fix gate
- Turn up dirt to get rid of roots
- Add compost to yard

I can't do any of this while there are bees out. At least until I get an epi-pen. So I was wondering. Temperatures are not reaching over 70 now, with lows in the 30-50s every night. When do bees normally disappear during the day. At what temperature do they decide is too cold?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
45 degrees. I do think you're worrying a bit too much. Unless you disturb a next you're not going to get stung just cleaning up your yard - I've gardened around my property for over 30 years now and have never once been stung out there. I have been stung in my carport, though, when a wasp landed on my side and I put my arm down! Bees aren't out to get you, they die if they sting you, that's a last resort!

Why do you think you'll have such a bad reaction? Have you had an anaphalactic reaction before? If you have, was it truly a honeybee, or more likely a yellow jacket, which both bite and sting - and don't die when they're doing it.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Soybean,
I don't think you would encounter any problems, either. I have never been stung gardening or working outside. The last time I did get stung was when I was opening up a mall door, go figure. But, on the other hand, if you need an epi pen, I would absolutely get one first.

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My mother said I stepped on a bee when I was younger and my whole foot swelled up, so ever since then she's kept me away from bees and I had an epi-pen for the longest time but it expired last year.

I don't ever remember being stung, but I don't fancy finding out how it feels. Mostly in my yard are a bunch of wasps and hornets. There are some nests somewhere, but I don't know where they are. In the summer at any given time, there are around 5-6 wasps or hornets buzzing around my little tiny yard, so its kind of hard to avoid them.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
You could purchase a beekeeper suit, hat and veil and wear it everywhere... j/k! ;)

I would certainly worry about wasps and hornets, as they can sting you more than once. And they will attack without any provocation.

Sounds like you should get a new epi-pen just to be on the safe side.