Beeswax wraps

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
what are they and what for?

i just know about beeswax candles, using beeswax in some salves/lotions and of course eating the honeycomb and chewing away. :)
They are beeswax-coated fabric for food storage. They are used like plastic wrap, plastic bags, or silicone bowl covers.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
interesting idea.

for food storage in the fridge i just use canning jars and lids.

i can't get Mom to stop using wraps and plastics all the time but we do get a lot of uses out of some bags and other containers that it isn't as bad as it could be. on my own i'm more like someone who hardly generates waste at all that can't be recycled.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
interesting idea.

for food storage in the fridge i just use canning jars and lids.

i can't get Mom to stop using wraps and plastics all the time but we do get a lot of uses out of some bags and other containers that it isn't as bad as it could be. on my own i'm more like someone who hardly generates waste at all that can't be recycled.
My husband reached for plastic wrap first, and my older son was doing it too. I think he was 8 years old when I got frustrated.

I organized food storage containers and stashed the plastic wrap in the basement. Out of sight, out of mind. I havent bought any since. 🎉

Its not easy to influence others habits, so it was a surprise success!

I use ziploc bags, but I wash and reuse them as many times as possible - its a lot! Eventually they get tacky and I toss them them. They are recyclable if your facility accepts plastic film.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Shouldn't use them for meat as you can't wash them in very hot water. I use them for everything else.

They form a lid for the bowl. I have a bunch cut for my cereal bowls. Gentle wash with soap. Warm water will get the wrinkles out for next use.

If you use a recipe to make your own, make sure it's a recipe that has pine rosin in it. That gives the little bit of sticky to make them work better.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use ziploc bags, but I wash and reuse them as many times as possible - its a lot! Eventually they get tacky and I toss them them. They are recyclable if your facility accepts plastic film.

our recycling via the curb trash pickup does not accept films, but some retail stores have recycling bins that will. you have to hunt for them or even check the website of the manufacturer.

to me this is all so silly though, if you make a product you should be making it so that it can be easily recycled. i also get really frustrated at manufacturers that package things badly and use multiple materials so that it isn't easily recycled. i've refused to buy some things because of how badly they were packaged.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm a ziploc bag washer also. I do try to use glass for leftover storage - but I may have to give these a try. I'll probably just order some. Not sure I'd trust myself to make them, lol.