Being Good Stewards

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was reading a post on The Easy Garden and Ladyhawke1's posting--
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27584
reminded me of taking good care of the land. California's environmental policies have done great damage to land that is occupied by Americans. If nobody lived there, then the wildfires, and subsequent flooding 6 months later wouldn't be a big deal, although the local wildlife would suffer. But now, we're seeing massive evacuations. It ALL could have been avoided. I HOPE that the state of California will learn what The Black Hills in South Dakota learned about 20 years ago, about thinning trees and picking up dead wood. In 1989 the Black Hills had a terrible forest fire there because nobody was cleaning up dead wood. (Yeah, I hear you snickering, "Isn't there a town in the BH's called, 'Deadwood?') We had NO trouble reserving a camp spot in Custer State Park!! In fact, we took 4 adjoining spots/paddocks because everybody thought they were all burned out!!!
NOW, the national park and national forest ROUTINELY picks up all dead wood and makes teepee like piles, which they burn after they've received a few foot of snow every winter. They even have billboards which say,
"How do you like your forest? Green? or Well-Done (pic of a burned out forest)"
I understand that the area which had the WORST fire last summer hadn't been cleared out in over 40 years.
And, NOW, of course, there isn't the vegetation left to hold back the mud. Sounds like California needs some new people in charge!! What do YOU think? :caf

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I think you are spot on. This place is a mess.