Best All Around Dog for TEOFTWAWKI

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We just lost a member of our pack-an ancient bassett hound. I would like to get another dog that may be more, shall we say, useful?

I would like a dog that can carry a good size pack, haul a small cart, guard property and my kids, if need be. Reasonably healthy (ie not prone to bloat, hip dysplasia, etc)

Is this asking too much? Are there any breeds or mixes that may fit this bill?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Pitbull. And you can hunt hogs with them, which actually is their intended purpose anyway. Great family dogs, and I know some will disagree, but in MY experience, this is truth. You asked my opinion....there it is ;)

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, I really like pitbulls. I think that they get a bad rap. You see so many great ones in the shelters because everyone is scared of them. Good suggestion.

BTW- I am glad you are online tonight. :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
hiker said:
Oh, I really like pitbulls. I think that they get a bad rap. You see so many great ones in the shelters because everyone is scared of them. Good suggestion.

BTW- I am glad you are online tonight. :)
I'm glad I am online tonight too!! ;) My Pitty could probably pull a huge cart! Look up some of the "pulls" they have these dogs do in competition!! It it AMAZING how strong they are! Even a mix of Pitbull and another sturdy breed would be awesome! Hybrid vigor, with proper size and temperament...would be a SUPER dog for SS type things by a long shot! Mine is very protective of my kids and family. :) We love her :love

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I saw the sweetest little pit bull puppy at the vet's office today. She was probably 4 months old and had been hit by a car. Her hind leg is broken but she'll be okay. She walked right up to my Golden in his huge elizabethan collar and licked him on the nose!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
I saw the sweetest little pit bull puppy at the vet's office today. She was probably 4 months old and had been hit by a car. Her hind leg is broken but she'll be okay. She walked right up to my Golden in his huge elizabethan collar and licked him on the nose!
Awwww!!!

OP watch your bloodlines if you do consider a Pittie. There are some lines more "gamey" type than others. Reputable breeders are your bestest friends. Be around parent dogs to get a good feel for temperament of the pups. Don't get a whiney puppy, or a clingy pup. you want them independent and confident, even as pups. My big baby is nervous by nature, so we do tend to have to watch her around loud, flighty type people :/ A scared/nervous animal, no matter breed or nurture, is a dangerous one. Get the dog fixed too. Ours wasn't that way until after a litter of pups :/ UNINTENDED litter of pups, and she was too young to breed, and shouldn't have. Dang stray mutts :rant There are a lot of things i wish we would have done differently with her, but she is a great dog nonetheless. Obedience trained, and chicken guard extraordinaire ;)

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh that is the sweetest story. I love to help out anyone/anything that is the "underdog" and those poor pit bulls sure get it.

A couple of years ago, someone threw their pit bull puppy off the 2nd street bridge in Louisville KY. A waitress working at one of the resturants on the river rescued the poor baby from the river and has since set up a pit bull rescue-Saving Sunny.

Isn't is wonderful how such an evil act can have positive outcome. Sorry, I am offtopic.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
hiker said:
So wannabe-you wouldn't look at rescue dogs for the bloodline reason?
I would check them out, and want to be around them a while before deciding for certain. If the rescues will let you, do a trial basis. Rescues check them over really really thoroughly before adopting them out. BUT different dogs, have different triggers for aggression. As stated, mine is nervous due to pregnancy hormones I believe, and has shown signs of aggression if pushed to a certain point with certain stimuli, but I know her background, and understand her issues. I don't put her in positions I know or even think she won't handle well. With rescues, you won't know the background, or what triggers may cause the dog anxiety that the rescue has not found either. Lots of rescues have underlying issues, but with Pitties, and their "reputation" and legal reasons, you have to go the extra mile with them...which is a good thing in a way, but also uber annoying at the same time. You want a good dog, not a liability, and being Pittie alone is considered a huge liability to some who aren't in the know. Be prepared for folks to be terrified of your dog at first glance. Due to bad owners...some folks are truly scarred by this breed and the dog WILL pick up on their fear. Pitties have to be handled differently, and handled well, with strict obedience. A super nervous dog, or dog aggressive dog, IMO is a cull, so be careful how you choose, IF you choose a Pittie, and be ready to work work work with the dog in obedience training. They are very loyal, terrific dogs, but they indeed take a dedicated special type person to be owned by this breed. Yeah...they'll own YOU :lol: Minehas me wrapped around her paw and she knows it :cool:

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree 100%! Mine is a pit/english cross that I got at 5 weeks old. We have had a couple other pits also. They are truly wonderful, protective, and physically strong dogs. I would get a puppy though. Misfit has proved herself to be an indespensable part of our family who has proven her worth and paid for her keep more than once. Not just in defending the animals either. She seems to pick up on what we are feeling and if one of us is scared then she senses it and starts growling, if anyone strange shows up at that point she quickly puts them off the property when normally she would greet a stranger with wiggles and kisses.

Latest posts