Best bug repellent?

Jennsbirds

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I want something easy to make (or grow) that's non-toxic to birds or cats, but can repel bugs in general (fleas would be best, but for now I'd like fewer general bugs to go away). I don't know if I need a plant, a spray, or something else.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ducks. chickens. guinea fowl. I understand quail are death on ticks.

I have read that pennyroyal works on fleas, bay leaf for ants. None of these will give you 100% knockdown like chemicals will, which is why people started using the chemicals in the first place.

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Pennyroyal took care of a massive flea problem I had years ago both inside and out. I think I remember it shouldn't be used ON cats though.

Jennsbirds

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Justme said:
Pennyroyal took care of a massive flea problem I had years ago both inside and out. I think I remember it shouldn't be used ON cats though.
Yeah, I looked it up and it's highly toxic. Not for the cat. I take it there's no way to make my own flea repellent or collar (though I heard those might affect the cat too, but I have never found evidence confirming or denying this).

I'm using fowl outside, but they won't work well in the bedroom.

At the very least I'd like something to deter all the craneflies and moths that come through our open windows at night, though.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I know cedar is good to use in bedding for some animals, but not sure if the oils are good for others. I seem to recall that it's not good for chickens, but I'm wondering how it is for cats?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've heard using a black light over something sticky (like tangle trap?) will attract fleas which then get caught in the sticky stuff... of course, you would have to figure out a way to keep your cats out of it...

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jennsbirds said:
At the very least I'd like something to deter all the craneflies and moths that come through our open windows at night, though.
Window screens?

If you don't have any you can easily pick up some bridal netting/tulle from a fabric store and tape it to the windows you leave open at night.

I couldn't survive without my window screens, summer would be torture by mosquitoes.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pyrethrum refers to several Old World plants of the genus Chrysanthemum (e.g., C. coccineum) which are cultivated as ornamentals for their showy flower heads. Pyrethrum is also the name of a natural insecticide made from the dried flower heads of Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium [white looks like a Daisy] and Chrysanthemum coccineum [again looks like a Daisy except the petals can range from pink to flaming red]. The best place to look for the seeds is organic seed suppliers because they are often planted as companion plants. They are perennial plants. When present in amounts less than those fatal to insects, they still appear to have an insect repellent effect. They are Toxic to fish. And the other drawback is that active agent is destroyed by sun light. Of course I dont know if you can grow them they seem to have a wide range in the Old World and in CA they are planted with broccoli.

Jennsbirds

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
~gd said:
Pyrethrum refers to several Old World plants of the genus Chrysanthemum (e.g., C. coccineum) which are cultivated as ornamentals for their showy flower heads. Pyrethrum is also the name of a natural insecticide made from the dried flower heads of Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium [white looks like a Daisy] and Chrysanthemum coccineum [again looks like a Daisy except the petals can range from pink to flaming red]. The best place to look for the seeds is organic seed suppliers because they are often planted as companion plants. They are perennial plants. When present in amounts less than those fatal to insects, they still appear to have an insect repellent effect. They are Toxic to fish. And the other drawback is that active agent is destroyed by sun light. Of course I dont know if you can grow them they seem to have a wide range in the Old World and in CA they are planted with broccoli.
In California they are planted with broccoli? This plant must really know me.

Thank you SO much.

Does it work on fleas? If it doesn't, it still helps a lot.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was told that Eucalyptus repels fleas. I've tried planting it by the chicken run three times. This last one might make it. They ate the others. They ate the lemon balm and spearmint as well. I need to move some peppermint over there because they don't touch the stuff by the house door. I've been trying to grow herbs to put in the nest boxes to deter insect pests. I was told the lemon balm, rosemary, and lavender help.

Latest posts