Best bulk prices on beans, raw almonds, rice and wheat?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I would like to start stocking up on beans, rice, wheat and raw almonds. I'm not looking to stock in multiple 5 gallon pail type quantities but would like to have a couple gallons up to 5 gallons of each on hand. Where have you found the best prices? I would love order on the internet if possible and if shipping is reasonable because it's just one less trip to the grocery.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I get my rice and almonds from sam's club... beans I buy at aldi's they don't have them in bulk but it's still cheaper than I've found them in bulk different places, I haven't bought any wheat in bulk yet... but best price I found for it was an LDS cannery... they are all over the US so you can search the one closest to you...

I haven't made an online purchase yet but plan too soon... and so far the best prices I've been able to find is honeyvillegrain.com and beprepared.com they are a tad pricy but have very cheap shipping so it's still cheaper than anywhere else I've found...

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wheat berries we order thru UNFI. You do have to order 25# at a time, though, which is one 5 gallon gamma seal bucket. Cost is about $1/#. We order ours through a local restaurant with a UNFI account, they let us order for cost plus 10%.

Beans, what we do not grow we buy at Wallyworld for $1/#. Our local independent grocery is owned by an Italian American family, so they have a great selection of beans, and what we do not get at WM we buy at Lofaro's, where they cost about $1.25-$1.75/#. FWIW, we never buy canned beans, just dry.

Rice we buy at GFS, a restaurant supply store that's open to the public. Again, you have to buy 25#, but it only costs $12 and fits in a single gamma seal bucket. It's brown rice.

I can't even begin to guess where I'd get raw almonds, but we get slivered almonds at GFS, too, a big 5# bag costs $15.

I have looked extensively for bulk dry foods online, and never gotten anywhere. Everything is ridiculously expensive. We do much better sticking to local sources.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
One of the best places to get almonds is Vitamin Cottage. I buy their almond meal. It is usually around $3/lb

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My local Food 4 Less/Kroger has great prices on big bags of beans, rice, etc.. They cater big to the Hispanic community here. Not sure if all are the same. In the beginning, (that sounded funny) I would buy my wheat at my local health food store. It cost .89 per pound. So with my own container I thought I was doing good.

But then I saw the prices at Azure Standard. They have wheat at 18 bucks for a 50 lb bag. The ordering can get a bit complicated and finding a drop point was not the easiest but well worth the effort. I also ordered corn, peas, lentils beans etc form them.

Smart & Final, a restaurant supply here, has good prices on lots of different bulk items.

I would just keep an eye on your local sale adds. Buy whats on sale and store it however you can. Something is much better than nothing.

g

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's been awhile, but bulkfoods.com used to have pretty good prices.

doodledo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I get mine from a co-op. Buy in bulk you get an extra 10% off. The mill is around 2 hrs away from me and sometimes I will take a drive and get it directly. It is all organic or at least not GMO. You can try to order from them or see if they have someone local on your end if you are close to PA. The company is Frankferd Farms.