best dehydrator

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looking for any and all feedback please. I have been given the green light (thank you DH) to purchase a dehydrator!!! I have been asking for awhile but chickens and wood stove came first :)

I am looking for feedback on the best bang for your buck. Ones you have gotten that stunk and ones that have been a game-changer. I am looking to mostly dry fruits, veggies and herbs but wouldn't mind some jerky, though DH does most of that in the smoker.

Thank you all for the input.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
While I think I'd love an expensive Excalibur, I use my little round Presto happily. $8 at a habitat store. If I graduate to way more dehydrating, i'll go for bigger/better. Amount of use for the money controls my standard buys.

That said, I have excellent, top of line, cream separator and cheese press, and canner that were ALL purchased on Craigslist ads from person's not using. Canner brand new, milk/cheese items gently used! All at way, way below cost & value! Takes patience. I have about $225 invested in over $800 worth of items.

So consider options that may be available. Many people get started and then stop. If it's not on the back of a shelf, they sometimes sell and move along. ;)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have an Excalibur 9 tray with the solid sheets for every tray. I sometimes use my surplus zucchini to make fruit roll ups, flavored with and cooked in frozen Welches grape juice. Run through a blender and pour on the solid sheets. I dehydrate tomatoes, great on winter salads when there are no fresh tomatoes and who wants store bought? :sick

I've made hash browns with my mandolin slicer, blanched and dehydrated them. Stored in a glass jar, they go great for hash browns or in soups and stews. They keep forever.
I found that, in the winter if I really want tomatoes in my tacos or something, I open and drain a can of diced tomatoes. Tomatoes that are headed for canning are usually picked ripe, because they will have such a short trip to the canning facility. The flavor is much better than store-bought "fresh" and the texture isn't that bad- a little softer than my own home picked but still a usable substitute.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The answer is likely no, as I have never had one from the store that tastes as sweet as the ones from my garden.
It's really easy to make your home grown tomatoes taste like store bought. Pick them when they are starting to turn red and store them in the refrigerator.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
😲 Wow, just wow - Montgomery Ward

It works still. The door fell off earlier this year and broke the plexiglass. Just needs that and some new velcro on the door. I have the velcro. So $10 or so to fix it. Mom really wants me to take it now. If there had been room in the truck she might have put it in today when we were packing to come home.

Our camping tent is an old 1970s Montgomery Ward canvas tent. It's 8x12. We can even fit the cots in and have room to stand and dress. It's pretty easy to put up. I can do it alone.