Best Fruit Storage

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My hubby and my sister picked pears yesterday from my sister's Bartlett pear tree. We brought home around 150 pounds of really nice organic pears! Of course I am planning on canning some, dehydrating some and even making some pear wine, but I also want to have plenty to eat fresh.

This is my question for you, what steps should I take to store my fresh pears to keep them for fresh eating the longest?
I know I should choose the very best for storage and only store nice firm fruit. What else should I do?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wrap in Newspaper and store in dark place like a closet. This is how Granny does her pears sometimes.....

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I wondered if wrapping them would be a good idea. How does she detect the too ripe ones if they are wrapped?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I wondered if wrapping them would be a good idea. How does she detect the too ripe ones if they are wrapped?
Im not sure.......

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've harvested a lot of apples (400# or so) this year and have had to learn how to store masses of fruit... Basically, you have to paw through them periodically. Use your nose and eyes. Store them 2 layers thick in cardboard boxes or paper bags---helps you see spoilage because it'll cause wet marks. You're supposed to put them somewhere cool, but I haven't been able to do that and everything is going fine. Only lost 2 apples outright so far. Found a lot of them with bruises and minor nicks that we ate before they could really go bad.

It's kind of fun to pick through boxes and boxes of fruit. It's proof that you're being SS and awesome.

BTW, I don't think pears store as well as apples. Tell us when you eat the last one...