Best way to "catch" snapping turtles ??????

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The pond is finally thawed, and I really want my ducks to be able to use it this year, so in order for them to use it,I need to rid it of snappers. So. How would I go about this?
tx

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
JRmom said:
A metal trotline with heavy steel leader would be my choice.
Have to agree there. That's about the only way to eliminate those little suckers other than shooting them.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you are processing any poultry for the freezer, the heads are good for baiting the hooks.

BUT, even if you successfully fish out whatever ones are in the pond now, bear in mind that new ones can easily move in, 'specially this time of year.

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Shooting, I could handle, but I never see them--they dive when I approach the pond. Wht would I use for bait?

Any recipes for turtle soup? (joke, I don't think I couldget my family to eat it)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We posted at the same time. :) chicken heads eh? Yeah, I plan on having to do this alot this summer. Last year the ducks wouldn't use the pond, and I finally figured out why when we saw a huge snapper cross the road from the ditch across the road. Whenever we went out to look aftewards, we couldn't find any in the pond. So, the war is on.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bait - anything that they can't pull off easily - like chicken pieces, the smellier the better! Beef heart if you can get it. The trappers around here use it to trap gators.

Turtle soup? No way - clean 'em and fry 'em up. I would eat turtle meat over anything! It's a bit chewy, but I love the flavor. :drool

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, give me recipes. They tend to eat what Icook,if there is no other choice. I don't like wasting meat. Oh, and I guess Iwill need toknow how to clean one. ;)

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Ok, give me recipes. They tend to eat what Icook,if there is no other choice. I don't like wasting meat. Oh, and I guess Iwill need toknow how to clean one. ;)
My husband loves fried deer meat with gravy, so that's how I to turtle meat. Cut into bite size pieces, season and coat with flour, fry, and make gravy out of the pan drippings.

As far as cleaning them.... I've watched my husband do it but couldn't tell you step by step what to do. He uses an axe to get the shell off (and make sure to chop of their heads even if you think they are already dead!). The best meat is in the thigh area on the legs.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Just use gator recipes for turtle. Gator is also really chewy, but if it is done right it is delicious :D