Best way to store goat milk

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
except Katie, where do you get the plastic jugs? I was thinking of buying these dollar store quart containers they have with a pour spout. They are only a buck so I could have several and rotate their uses. I'd like to just store up milk in the fridge for cheese making and not necessarily freeze it.
I get them from my MIL. She does in-home care for an older lady who seriously goes through a gallon of tea and a gallon of milk per day! :th I um, sometimes trade milk for some green stuff, and I will use the plastic jugs because I won't let my glass stuff go since it won't be coming back. I always make sure they're super clean, and if any jug smells at all for any reason, I toss it.

I have a couple pitchers like these, but mine are rectangular instead of square and have a built-in handle. They hold about a half gallon.

And I got my plastic jar lids from Walmart. They're cheaper there than anywhere online, that I've found. I love those things!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i use the wide mouthed quart jars - no problems! altho if they get knocked around in the chest freezer they might break

if its just for soap you can use gallon freezer bags - but no matter what you do they will leak when they are thawed.

:)

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just an idea for storing milk in the refrigerator, what about checking around at the thrift store and garage sales for those glass orange juice pitchers from the '70s. You know the ones that you made up the orange juice concentrate in? They had oranges printed all over the outside (apparently incase you didn't recognize the orange juice through the clear glass!) If I remember right they have a pretty good sealing lid. It seemed like everyone's grandma had one of those things! I see them quite often at Goodwill and garage sales. I really prefer to keep milk in glass. I think milk tastes funky even drinking it out of a plastic cup!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Living the Simple Life said:
Just an idea for storing milk in the refrigerator, what about checking around at the thrift store and garage sales for those glass orange juice pitchers from the '70s. You know the ones that you made up the orange juice concentrate in? They had oranges printed all over the outside (apparently incase you didn't recognize the orange juice through the clear glass!) If I remember right they have a pretty good sealing lid. It seemed like everyone's grandma had one of those things! I see them quite often at Goodwill and garage sales. I really prefer to keep milk in glass. I think milk tastes funky even drinking it out of a plastic cup!
I have 2 of those, and darn it, I don't have the plastic lids! :hit

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm thinking I need to get some stuff at the goodwill, glass jars and such. My younger son (the one who is still growing) is turning out to love drinking goat milk, so I want to have as much available for him as he wants. He is thin, and goat milk sounds like a much better thing for him to drink than most everything else he chooses. I'm making up some chocolate milk for him right now. But I'd like to have a couple jugs I could rotate for our home use, so I know which is the oldest to use first and such.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I'm thinking I need to get some stuff at the goodwill, glass jars and such. My younger son (the one who is still growing) is turning out to love drinking goat milk, so I want to have as much available for him as he wants. He is thin, and goat milk sounds like a much better thing for him to drink than most everything else he chooses. I'm making up some chocolate milk for him right now. But I'd like to have a couple jugs I could rotate for our home use, so I know which is the oldest to use first and such.
Look on craigs list too.
We have done very well at garage sales for canning jars. And a friend that moved to Adak, just gave me several dozen canning jars of all sizes, as well as another dozen gallon jars.
Get the word out that you are in need of jars, and they will start appearing!