Between years testing, who else has to test their kids?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am not sure what all the homeschool laws are for each state except for a few. Here in Ohio, we have to prove our kids continue to learn while homeschooling. My kids are finishing up their testing today, and I'll be mailing them in for grading.

I have to send their scores to our local school. It's more or less to prove to the schools that the kids are "where they should be" acedemically so that they won't make me put them back in public school

Here's the kicker....it's the same Standardized Test the public schools give, or a version of it anyway, and while public school kids have to score a 75% or better, a homeschooler only has to score 25% or better :ep What's wrong with this picture?!

We, the parents, aren't allowed to grade the test, or tell our kids when they are wrong. I went through a program that allows the parents to give the test and then we mail it back in for grading.

So, I've peeked :hide at the reading section that my daughter has already completed...she's so far only missed one! She's doing math this morning, and during the part where I had to read things aloud to her, she missed none!! She's into the word problems and stuff now, where she has to do it herself. I'm distracting myself by posting here so I won't watch her on her test. It's timed, she only has 15 minutes to complete this part of the test....She's about five minutes in...Is it OK that I'm nervous? lol

She has this part of the math plus one more part to math. Math is the subject I'm worried about, as it's not her strong point. She's still struggling with multiplication and division, and both of those are on this test. I doubt she'll do well with those, but that's OK as long as she passes, right?

Language (punctuation/spelling/capitalization) is all that's left after that Math parts. She should be done completely in the next 2 hours, and then I get to start DS on his test.

Really praying they both do well!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
DD has the kids do practice tests a couple times a year. She has homeschooled in Missouri, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Texas. I think the regulations were different for each state, but I don't remember.....

I have this handy link... that shows the different state laws.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

edited for typo

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for that link! We are parental notification only. The truancy officer for the school district has a 3"x5" form for the parents to fill out. It has the child's name, SSN, parents names & an optional part for the curriculum being used. Easy peasy!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Thanks for that link! We are parental notification only. The truancy officer for the school district has a 3"x5" form for the parents to fill out. It has the child's name, SSN, parents names & an optional part for the curriculum being used. Easy peasy!
Oh I wish!

We have to fill out and sumbit a 2 pg notification that includes any test scores from the previous year plus a complete list of any curriculum that we have and/or are intending to use. Ends up being like five plus pages long.

Then the school gives us the "ok" to continue homeschooling even though in Ohio we don't need the schools "permission" to homeschool.

There are no state laws regarding homeschooling in the state of Ohio, just some agreed upon guidelines.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard horror stories of how it can be in other states. I'm very grateful that I can pull out & go back in to the school district with very little being said. The only problem/issue, is that there are some dumb homeschool kids out there in MS, only because there are NO guidelines. The rest of them make up for it though :lol: Including the 16 year old who was in my karate class (I took it, didn't teach it) who was in a 4-year college on a full academic scholarship (and I do mean full, books, transportation & all). And my godchildren who are at college level on almost everything according to the standardized tests, and they are 11 & 9. hehehe The public school was PO'd when she took them back out to homeschool again. They wanted those test scores!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Thanks for the link keljonma!

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are not required to test. This past spring, I did sign them up for optional standardized testing at a nearby site. I figure taking a standardized test is a skill they should be exposed to should they wish to pursue academics.

Inchworm

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
In WV you can keep a portfolio of their work and hire a teacher to review it or you can let your kids take the testing at a approved homeschool testing center or at the public school. I always took my kids to the public school....it was free and I got to show how well my kids did in comparison with other kids in the state.

The homeschoolers in the area did not like this because they felt that this gave the school credit for my kids' scores. I didn't really care about all that....I just wanted to be left alone to teach my kids and I wanted to do it cheaply.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
DD completed her test, and it's been mailed in. We have to give them one to two weeks to grade and return the scores to us.

DS will be finishing his test tomorrow and it will be in the mail, too.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
I would argue their need for the SS# thats for sure.! :D

Latest posts