Birch Syrup

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Has anyone else made Birch Syrup? A couple of my family members did. Wow, it has a more interesting flavor than Maple Syrup but unlike Maple Syrup, Birch Syrup can only be used for cooking purposes. I do mostly glazes on different meats ( pork, chicken and even tried it on Tuna steaks). The flavor of Birch Syrup is a more earthy, molasses taste because of the lower sugar content.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
welcomeb.gif

Glad to have you with us! Never had birch syrup. I have had shagbark syrup...it is actually made from the bark of the shagbark hickory tree. Is birch syrup made from the birch sap?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have heard of it, but never tried it. We are usually too busy making maple syrup, but now I have to try it!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to SS :frow I've never heard of that before, but I think I'm in the wrong country lol I'm curious about this now.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I was first told about tapping Birch trees to make Birch syrup I wasn't too sure about it myself but it's pretty good. We also did Maple Syrup. If anyone has ever made Maple Syrup you know about how much work and time goes into that well more work and time goes into the process of turning Birch dap into Syrup. Thought it would never get done! LOL

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol really? Because maple syrup takes FOREVER! Not sure I want to tackle birch syrup!

Latest posts