Bird rescue this evening.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
DS came home and told me to come help a bird that "got its toe stuck" somewhere. Intrigued I followed him down the road and found this...

IMG_20190405_180756.jpg

The poor thing had a piece of string tangled around its leg and tied to this electric wire and was hanging and flapping around there with no chance of getting free :(

Being me I immediately started knocking on doors to see if anyone has a tall enough ladder for us to get to it. An hour's fruitless search later I found a man parked on a side street with a truck (big truck, not pick up). I convinced him to pull in below the wire and see if we can find a shorter ladder then, to put in the back of his truck and hopefully reach the bird. The only ladder we managed to get hold of was too flimsy and risky and he refused, understandably, to let us use it.

DS then said look, I'll find a stick and try and flip the bird around the electric wire to loosen the string some... So off we went and came back with about 9 foot of plastic gutter. He got onto the back of the truck and first supported the by now exhausted bird a bit, so it can catch its breath, then carefully manoeuvred it around the wire, until he had a few inches of string free. He then pushed against the string until it snapped. The poor bird fell like a stone!

I ran around the truck and found it laying flat on its back, looking dead. When it picked it up it moved through. I asked the truck driver to help me get the string off its leg and brought it home for some rest, warmth, comfort and mealworms if it feels up to eating.

IMG_20190405_184419.jpg

Our hero, DS :love

IMG_20190405_191441.jpg

Right now the poor thing is just lying down and moving a bit now and then. I'm guessing it's in shock, exhausted and possibly a bit hungry and thirsty too. I'm not going to force it to eat or drink anything though. I'll just leave it for a bit and see how it feels later or in the morning. I'm hoping it will recover from its ordeal and we'll be able to release it in the morning.

If you guys ever release a helium balloon, stop for a second and think about the string and this poor bird...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What kind of bird is it, it's pretty . Good save, I hope it survives. Your son is a great kid!

Also, DH and I been known to lecture people about releasing balloons. So irritating and selfish!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I believe it's a starling. I just went to check on it and sadly it passed :( DS is so sad and so am I do be honest! But at least the little thing had a few people care and help it and didn't die a horrible death hanging off the wire by a string! That's a consolation at least...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya'll are heroes! Bless it's little heart. Warmth is always good for a stressed bird...

No balloon releases here either!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aw that's too bad :( you did a good thing for it regardless!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Uh oh- I guess we posted at the same time - sorry for you and for DS. But at least it didn't die hanging from a string...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Uh oh- I guess we posted at the same time - sorry for you and for DS. But at least it didn't die hanging from a string...
It's O.K. FEM I told DS the same thing. I said to him that bird had a few people care about it and try to help it and in the end didn't die a horrible death, hanging from the power line like that. It died warm, safe, comfortable and cared for... It was an awful bummer after going through all that effort to help it, but it's a small consolation?