Black Walnuts!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I've got a bumper crop of black walnuts this year. If anyone is interested in getting any, let me know. I'm open to trades or other options.
Any suggestions with what I can do with the rest would be appreciated!

Smart Red

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Me, too, with that bumper crop of both walnuts and acorns. Guess I'd better get out and check the hickory for nuts.

hqueen13

Reaction score
We have a bumper crop of all three.
I'm kinda worried about what winter has in store.....
I don't know what to do with hickory nuts though.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's been a huge crop of fruit on the trees this year. All of the blackberries ripened for the first time we've seen. Usually there are quite a few green ones at this time of year.

We always just shelled and froze the black walnuts. We use them in baking and I like to put them on yogurt. I'm going to be picking some up from my great Aunt here soon when I go get some grapes. Mom says she has golden delicious apples as well. Those get turned into butter.

Smart Red

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have a bumper crop of all three.
I'm kinda worried about what winter has in store.....
I don't know what to do with hickory nuts though.
Hickory nuts are a pain to crack and remove, but delicious when used in any recipe just like walnuts. I think the hickory nuts taste a bit more buttery.

LATER: Or was that my butternuts I'm remembering. Either way, hickory nuts are well worth the work 'freeing' them from their shells. I like them better than the walnuts and winters are long here in Wisconsin.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hickories, walnuts and pecans are all in the same family. I've never eaten black walnuts, but have brought home a bag of them from the farm so I can try them. And while I've wanted to try hickories, the squirrels always beat me to them.

Smart Red

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hickories, walnuts and pecans are all in the same family. I've never eaten black walnuts, but have brought home a bag of them from the farm so I can try them. And while I've wanted to try hickories, the squirrels always beat me to them.
Probably butternuts as well. The only way I can tell walnut from butternut trees -- before they set fruit -- is by crushing the leaves and smelling them. Butternuts have a buttery smell.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Butternuts are also in the walnut family. They're also called white walnuts, so I didn't think to include them.

hqueen13

Reaction score
I didn't think hickory nuts are edible?! Someone told me they weren't! Our is it that they are just to much of a passion to shell lol?
I'd love to get my hands on some good pecans! Anybody want to trade walnuts for pecans?