Blackberries--How do you use them?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I've got the wonderful privilege of access to a neighbor's woods full of blackberries. I could probably easily pick about 3 gallons per picking. I've frozen on cookie sheets for use during the winter, eaten gobs fresh, made cobblers, and plan to make jelly (our favorite!).

What wonderful ways do you use this fruit? I would love more ideas!

me&thegals

Reaction score
Great idea! I could strain out half the seeds and then go for it :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would freeze them on a cookie sheet and then use them in fruit smoothies. you could also make jams or jellies.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Now that mis the north mentioned it, I used to make blackberry juice mixed with current juice and freeze for popsicles- yummy. The current juice added a little tang.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Pie filling, canned. Make cobblers and pies around the holidays! Or to warm up and put over ice cream. Yum! Juice, frozen, to add to other juices, smoothies, etc. for a berry zing. Individual fruit pies, like the apple fritters, and freeze for a hot, individual dessert to be warmed up in the microwave.

To naturally dye some yarn for weaving? Great color from blackberries!

me&thegals

Reaction score
I love the individual pie idea! Like turnovers... I also should try using the juice for dye. I've always meant to do that with my beet cooking water for my basket reed :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
blackberries--YUM
we have tons of bushes in the fields and along our long gravel driveway. I compete with the critters...LOL...but I sure got my share.

I freeze and use thru winter. I make everything that was mentioned.....but the popsicles are a great idea I had forgot about. We used to make delish orange juice popsicles in the summer when I was a kid and the blackberries would be a great one to make!!!

me&thegals

Reaction score
Thanks everybody! I have my niece and nephews visiting, so last night we ran out to an easy-access patch and got a few pints. They were so thrilled with blackberry cobbler!

I need to drag my poor scarred and scabbed body back into those nasy thorny patches a couple more times so I can use all your ideas :)

Latest posts