Blackberry

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What do you guys nnow about blackberries?
We have a very large bush on the property line. Maybe 25 feet long by 15 feet wide by 12 feet tall. It has just started making berries and some are red but they are very small. Probably the size of mulberries. What can i do to help it out?

Hens and Roos

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
can you add some fertilizer around the base of the bush? We have a raspberry patch and the plants were very short and struggled to grow-once we added poop/waste hay from our rabbits and goats the plants started growing and doing better.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you use to make blackberries grow. I can't get rid of the things here since Himalayan blackberries are a nasty invasive even if the fruit is good.

I dump chicken litter around my thornless blackberries once a year. They do good with that. Those are the only ones I've planted.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH won't allow me to plant blackberries anywhere on the property. He's still traumatized by the Himalayan blackberries that ate the tank house, broke the cement patio, and started growing into the house when he was young...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love them, but they are taking over in an area I am cool with them taking over. If they get invasive, the goats love them!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The farms that raise blackberries here for selling have them on a two wire support like grapes. The berries are kept in narrow rows for easy picking and cleaning out the previous years fruiting canes. As the canes get long, they are curled in a loop and tied to the wires. Makes for easy and fast picking.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If wild ones, they will not be as large or sweet as the ones you see in store but they are free...& some sugar takes care of it. Oh, watch for snakes when picking. Birds will eat their fill. Chickens eat them, also. Free food.

So, make jam, jelly, cobblers. I have a lot of them around here, not allowed to get the size of yours but, plenty!